15 Gallons/ 70 Litters Okay For A Betta?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BlackyMoory

Reaction score
Hi there, 

I currently have my betta fish living in a very small 2 gallon tank and want to upgrade him to a 15 Gallon tank! :) Would he be okay living alone in the tank and is that size big enough! I do not plan on putting any more fish in the tank just him!

That is plenty enough for him.
IMO 5 gal is minimum for a Betta so that is plenty. :)

Blondielovesfish said:
That is plenty enough for him.
IMO 5 gal is minimum for a Betta so that is plenty.
smile.png

WooooT ! Okay getting it for a bargain at $13

Blondielovesfish said:
ohmy.png
I'm jealous of tank's price! How are you getting it so cheap?

The seller says, it has a crack which has been sealed and that they have used over and over again, but if the crack doesn't work out I have another tank I used for a hamster so I was thinking of switching the tanks (is that good or bad?)

I have my Betta in a 60litre tank on his own and he's perfectly happy with it :)
It'll be perfectly fine.

It's a fairly big tank - just make sure your betta has something to do and play with or he may get bored and start self-harming (yes! even fish do it tho maybe not for the same reasons) Once you've got his measure - whether he's aggressive or fairly chilled - you might consider getting some tank mates but not until you know what he's like and certainly nothing with big fins that he might consider to be another betta male and therefore a threat.

Just to expand on what mamashack said about tank mates, some good ideas are snails.  I have two nerite snails in a roughly 7 gallon aquarium.  I have heard shrimp could work well, but sometimes end up as a snack for the betta.  I have also heard of some success with cories.

She pretty much told you a key point.  Don't keep a betta with anything that could stress it out or that it could see as a threat.  And to answer your question, 15 gallons will be great for your betta!

15 gallons is a perfect home for a single betta.  :D  Kudos to you for going big.  To prevent boredom, I suggest lots of "caves" and tunnels for him to explore and lots of plants -  bettas love plants.  If you decide to not use live plants, use silk ones because that way your betta's tail and fins will not get cut up and torn.   

On the discussion of tankmates -- I am of the opinion that bettas are always better by themselves.  They are a solitary fish by nature and do not get lonely alone.  That being said, there are some options for tankmates should you decide down the road that you want to add something.  I love having snails in all my tanks.  I like shrimp too but they tend to end up as a snack for bettas.  Some people have reported success with small dull schooling fish but I don't advise that myself.  Bottom feeders like corys are a good idea but remember they need at the very least 3 of the same species to be happy and the smaller the cory you go, the less "bottom dweller" it is.   I personally like the idea of the 15 gallon for the betta by himself or maybe with a snail or two.  Either way, once you start setting it up -- we want some pics.  Especially once you pick your betta.  :D    

As for using the tank that the hamster was in -- make sure the silicon is in good shape and that you wash it out very very good.

Just for reference in case you ever need recommendations for anything down the road -- can you let us know where you are located.  Example; US, UK, somewhere else

If he is a placid betta then neons may make suitable tankmates too (get about 5-6)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back