0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate. No Water Change For 2 Months

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jingy

Reaction score
I have a 55gallon tank over a year now, 4 Gold fish in it, I haven't change water for 2 months, the reading come out 0.

I was waiting for nitrite to rise, but it never did. What's wrong with it?

Hi Jingy. Zero readings on everything on a tank this old is likely wrong with that stocking. Please give us some more info. 
- How is the tank filtered?
- Did you get readings for ammonia or nitrate at any point before now?
- How have you been testing your water? Test strips, liquid test kits, taking water samples to the LFS, etc?
- When did you add the fish relative to setting up the tank?

If the fish have been since the tank was set up, the tank should have cycled a long time ago (very stressful for the fish, but hardy fish can survive bad conditions), so your tank should be showing nitrate at this point even if you missed the nitrite spike. But, nitrate kits can give false zero readings. If you are using test strips, those are also notoriously inaccurate and can have the same problem.

Donya said:
Hi Jingy. Zero readings on everything on a tank this old is likely wrong with that stocking. Please give us some more info. 
- How is the tank filtered?
- Did you get readings for ammonia or nitrate at any point before now?
- How have you been testing your water? Test strips, liquid test kits, taking water samples to the LFS, etc?
- When did you add the fish relative to setting up the tank?

If the fish have been since the tank was set up, the tank should have cycled a long time ago (very stressful for the fish, but hardy fish can survive bad conditions), so your tank should be showing nitrate at this point even if you missed the nitrite spike. But, nitrate kits can give false zero readings. If you are using test strips, those are also notoriously inaccurate and can have the same problem.
+1 on above

Very unlikely you will have 0 readings on all tests. 
Either your test kit is no good (out of date, strip tests etc)

Answering CCL's post will help.....

CCL?

Oh, you mean "Donya". ;)

I'd be interested in the kit you are using? And you say "reading"  which reading are you referring to.

As for the zero water changes in two months, goldfish would require much more frequent water changes than that.

Sorry, yes, I meant Donya!

My mistake. Read wrong title! Sorry!

Yes, water changes are a must, especially with goldfish as they poop a lot, so that means lots of ammonia and nitrite will build up if you don't do water changes, esp if tank not cycled.

Even if tank is cycled you would at least have a big build up of nitrates......

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back