Zits On My Firemouth Please Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

joegwendolyn

Reaction score
Hello I was hoping someone can help me my fire mouth has got white lumps like zits down the sides of its fin at the top I have never seen anything like this before I have seen white spot and fungus like cloudy patches but these look like white headed spots, I really dont know what to day about treatment I have tried turning the tempriture up will this help ? any advice that will help will be appreciated I dont want to lose my fish if i can help it I have a 330ltr tank with 3 filters in and plenty of air bubbles please help

Attachments

• SAM_0961.JPG
    SAM_0961.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 317
Do the look like a cluster of berries.
The colour of the little lumps look white. Is this correct?
Are they actually on the fin.
Do the lumps look hard, or soft like filled with fluid.
Do the lumps have any red, pink areas.

Do the look like a cluster of berries.
The colour of the little lumps look white. Is this correct?
Are they actually on the fin.
Do the lumps look hard, or soft like filled with fluid.
Do the lumps have any red, pink areas.
they look like single bumps like you say white in colour there is 5 along the side you can see and on the other side there is 1 at the top and one at the bottom of the fin there along the line of the fin not actually on the fin, there a bit pink around the edge of the spots and they look like a chalky texture inside I am not sure if a couple of them have popped tonight hope you can help

There a disease called lymthocystis. Viral. But it dosn't soound like it that to me.
Just make sure the lumps don't resemble a cauliflower.

With some pink around the lumps it sounds bacterial.
I would medicate the whole tank now that they have burst with a bacterial med.

Abit of info on lymthocystis.

Lymphocystis

Symptoms:

Fish infected with Lymphocystis will present with clusters of whitish, berry-like growths on the skin and fins. These "clusters" may resemble small clutches of eggs or cauliflower (hence, it is sometimes called Cauliflower Disease). They will be clearly visible and may even become extremely large. This disease often affects the fins first.

Cause:

Viral infection. The virus will eventually kill the fish if it is unable to mount a strong enough immune response as the virus rampages through the fish�s tissues, destroying its cells.

Treatment:

As with all viral infections, there is no suitable cure or efficacious treatment; however Quick Cure claims to be helpful. I have also heard of people who trim the fish's fins, followed by several baths in Malachite Green. Fortunately, this disease is uncommon and in some cases, infected fish are able to recover quickly without treatment.

Lymphocystis is highly infectious. When infected cells from the fish�s skin or fins burst the virus is spread throughout the aquarium and can remain contagious for periods of up to two months. Fish not showing symptoms should be removed from the aquarium and placed in quarantine, away from other fish, for at least 60 days. Note, remove uninfected fish, not the other way around because the aquarium has become contaminated. The infected aquarium should be emptied and thoroughly disinfected before returning any fish to it. Do not use soap to clean the aquarium.

Article by
Fish+Disease.Net

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back