Zebra Loaches And One Odd Behaving Apple Snail

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jonwhite2k

Reaction score
So I decided to add some more fish to my aquarium yesterday as it's now cycled, and the three neon tetras and apple snail need more life in there!

Due to a huge snail problem I decided to buy three zebra loaches as they only grow to 10cm (90L tank)

Since adding them they ignore the apple snail as it's a lot bigger than them but the snail seems to be scared. He will stay at the top of the tank out of the water. I moved him last night and he just goes into his shell to hide. Does this sound like the apple snail is afraid of the loaches?

The apple snail sounds to me like she is looking for a good place to lay eggs. They are always laid in places above the water line.
I have never owned zebra loaches so their particular size is not something I have experience with. I try to never use "common knowledge" information because I know how wrong it can be.
I suspect that apple snails are not really smart enough to fear a particular fish. They will know if they have been attacked by a fish though. If you take the time to do enough research, you will find many tales of apple snails taking a stroll for quite some distance out of water. It seems that although basically aquatic, apple snails are not very afraid of the possibility of drying out and they will wander quite a distance from the water you have put them into.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back