Zebra Loach With White Spot

peter212693

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I spotted tonight one of my zebra loaches has about a dozen white spots in a small area on his side and back. No other fish have any spots at all. Could it be anything else other than white spot? I have only had it once before early on when introducing some neons but never had anymore trouble.

I have not made any changes or additions to the tank at all it just seems to have come out of nowhere
sad.png

Should I start my treatment of Protozin at half dose?

Thanks
smile.png

EDIT:

I have just done water tests and showing fine:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 30-40

Ok everyone I managed to get some shots with my big lens (Even if it did take half an hour!), what do you think?

Still no signs of it on any other fish I could see.

bg9sp.jpg

2daagpe.jpg

117v0pk.jpg

Thanks!

I'm 99% certain that those spots are white spot. To treat it you need to be adding the Protozin promptly and increasing the water temperature to the higher limit of what the Zebra Loach can deal with.

I'd recommend treating the tank for an additional 1-2 weeks after the spots have disappeared because there are several non-visible stages to the white spot parasite's life cycle which may give you the false impression that you have eradicated the parasite.

White spot can be deadly if it gets into the gills so be sure to begin the course of treatment now.

Most reactions

Back