Zebra Danios Vanished...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

he has probably died and migrated somewhere invisinble to the human eye. try getting a cat to spot it as they seem to be the only things that can see even the smallest fish die or jump the tank from a mile away...

as I said I almost flushed him last night to end his suffering. But I couldn't bring myself to do it.

The best way is in a bag filled with some salty water and then put in the freezer. it cools them and they go peacefully

Zebra Danios are jumpers. If there are holes in your tanks lid, they will find them. Try looking on the floor around the tank. If you do this soon and find the danio, there is a chance you can revive him. You do this by soaking a paper towel in tank water, and wrapping the fish in in. The you get a container with some more tank water in it and wiggle the paper towel in the container of water. This could revive a fish that has jumped out of the tank. If the fish does revive,you should keep it separate from the other fish until it acts normally.

Dead fish only float at the surface of the tank some of the time. Generally, they sink. If you look at the tank from several different angles (above, from the side) you should find him. I agree with the cat idea, also, but some cats can just not be bothered to search for a fish.

I have had a fish mysteriously disappear once before. I had just started fish keeping, and one morning I couldn't find one of my female guppies. I searched and searched, but I never found her.

Fin nips are open to infection. If you add some more danios (yes, I know this may be impossible with a small tank, how many gallons is your fish tank?) you should even out this behavior. I suggest you but some anti-fungal fish tank treatment and periodically treat the water with that. It should help with not getting the nips on fins infected. To also ward off infection, do regular water changes (you probably know this already) and don't over-feed the fish (Help, you probably already know that too!!)

Great job on getting the tank, and welcome to the forum.

Neomeris

Sorry to hear about your danio. Danios are strong swimmers, only a very sick or dieing fish would be sucked up to the filter. I agree with Blubble37. Even though you hear about it, never flush a fish down the toilet. It is in-humane, and if the fish is okay it can become an invasive species.

Zebra Danios are jumpers. If there are holes in your tanks lid, they will find them. Try looking on the floor around the tank. If you do this soon and find the danio, there is a chance you can revive him. You do this by soaking a paper towel in tank water, and wrapping the fish in in. The you get a container with some more tank water in it and wiggle the paper towel in the container of water. This could revive a fish that has jumped out of the Tank.

But if it has been out for more than half an hour this wont work TBH, and if it has been missing for ages it could well be dried up

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back