Zebra Danio Story

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sea_Monster87

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Today I was at the LFS buying another platty when some Zebra Danios caught my eye. They were very small for Danios (only about the size of guppys) and they looked like they were being bullied. I know Danios usually play by biting at each other's tails, but I could tell they were being bullied. I felt sorry for them and bought them. They were very shy at first and imidiatley hid in some plants. After a while they came out and started swimming around. The guppies are very curious about them and keep swimming over to them with this look that says "those are the weirdest guppies I've ever seen." I think they want to be friends with the Danios though. :D Anyway thats my story. If you have any advice on Danios please tell me because I'm new with them. B)

Actually, grown up Zebra Danios are about the size of guppies, females larger than the males. They're very cute and lively fish, and also easy to breed :). They're hardy, not that picky about their water. They prefer to be in schools (6 or more), altho I only have 2 of them, because I bought them for tank cycling purposes. They happened to be male and female, and they are constantly spawning :lol:. The hard part is keeping the fry alive, since the parents eat the eggs and fry if they're not separated. Zebra Danios prefer a lot of space to swim, since they're so fast-moving, even if they are small in size.

We have 6 zebra danios, they were our first fish and the ones we used to help cycle the tank :*) They are gorgous fish, so playful, the faster your filter flow into the tank, the more they like it. Ours are always playing in the flow and the 6 harliquins we have shoal with them :wub:

They are definately the life and soul of our tank and are great to sit and watch...they're like little kids :D

Sharon

They've "discovered" my school of Neons and they love to play with them. The Neons don't mind at all. They play a game like hide and seek. One fish goes and hides in a plant or decoration and the others look for it. It's so cute! :wub: :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back