Zebra Danio Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rach97134

Reaction score
I have a tank with two danio, two platys and 6 minnows in. I've just got another tank available as the goldfish that was in it died and I'm trying to decide between two options on what to do with it... The danio in the tank are quite moody and are forever chasing the other fish round. A lady at the local fish shop said this could be because they are generally group fish and we only have two of them. She suggested adding more but obviously I didn't want to risk it in case we got more and they also ended up being aggressive. Originally I was just going to get a small group of minnows for this tank that's become available. But now I'm wondering whether to take the danio out the tank they're in now and put them in this other one and get a couple more danio so they'll be on their own in the tank as a group of about 4/5. I was thinking it'd give the poor fish in the tank a break! But then I'm worried about adding 2 or 3 more danio in with the original two in case those two try attacking the rest... What are your opinions? Sorry for the long post!

hi Rach 
welcomeani.gif
to TFF!
Some information about both your tanks would help us to help you, such things as size, filtration, temperature, water stats.

Oh gosh I don't know all that much really I'm pretty new to it! The empty tank is 10L and I thinnnnk the tank with the danio, minnows and platys in is 25L. The 25L one has a Stingray filter in and the empty tank is a Marina 360 tank and the filter came with it. Thinking of taking it out and buying something else though as it doesn't seem to do the job too well. Both tanks are just kept at room temperature, they don't have heaters. They tend to be around 15-20 degrees c. No idea on the water stats... but they have been alive for a year so I'm assuming things musn't be too bad? :/

I'm sorry to say but neither of the tanks are suitable for any of the fish you have. The zebra danios need a 3-4ft long tank, and should be kept in groups of 6+.

Platies need a ~57l tank, minimum. The platies are tropical so need a heater, the zebra danios are more temperate though so don't really need a heater but it might be good to have in the winter to keep the temp stable.

Goldfish need a minimum of 75l so that might be why he died, unfortunately. :/ I would re-home your current fish and look into buying a test kit, preferably liquid as they're more accurate.

I would save your 10l for medicating fish and for the 25l a single betta would be fine. Other than that I would be looking into a larger tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back