Zebra Danio Egg Emergency!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LucyB

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So I have 4 zebra danios (1 male, 3 female) who have all lived in tropical water at about 29°C until yesterday when I moved them to my goldfish tank because they were nipping my bettas tail quite badly. The goldfish tank is about 22°C and I acclimated them properly, they all seem very happy. I woke up this morning and they were spawning! So in a rush I put 1 male and 2 females in a breeding trap (with the divider so they couldn't eat the eggs) and when I got home from school it was full of eggs!

Do i need a seperate tank for them? They are in the breeding trap right now.

At what temperature do i put the heater in the fry tank (if i set one up)? Bearing in mind they were born in a tank of 22°C, but would they like it warmer?

What do I feed the fry?

How long do they take to hatch?

What do I do to make sure the eggs don't get covered in fungus? I don't have any methylene blue at the moment...

Filter or just an airstone?

Thank you all!

aaw wow congratulations i dont know much information but i presume the change in water temp could have caused the spawning what you could do, if you have a spare tank is separate the eggs 50/50 if the parents do nurture them like angels do, not 100% sure on that, to make sure the eggs don't get caught up with fungus and stuff you do need an air stone and filtration i think, but going back to the 50/50 i saw someone do this with angel fish eggs, 50 let the parents do it, and 50% you try and raise the eggs, but i'm not sure if danios look after there young

Thanks Zik, I set up a breeding tank and put the eggs in. The filter was too strong but the airstone seems a bit weak :( I'm getting some methylene blue tomorrow, could fungus grown between now and tomorrow afternoon? I might stir them around every so often... gently, of course :)

im not expert but if the water is static then yes i presume so but congratulations and i hope this goes well, i am no expert keep googling stuff and searching hopefully someone will come in with more experience than me

Hey guys, a few of the eggs turned white and I know that these are un-fertalised so I removed them to prevent any fungus spreading. I put a lamp over the eggs so that I could see what I was doing, and I saw a little wiggle inside one of the eggs!

When they hatch, how long do I wait to feed them?

Can I feed them boiled egg yolk?

Thank you :)

My zebra danio eggs moving!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpGAfDDCOPk

Like most fish in the average tropical set up, danios will eat their eggs/young so you did the right thing in removing them! Good luck.

My Zebra Danio eggs hatched!!! There are hundreds!!! :D

006-6_zps9164d9bd.jpg

011-6_zps2f8683c6.jpg

Do you know when I should start to feed the lil' guys? I plan to feed them egg yolk.. :)

aaw wow nice one, i know at LFS sell liquid fry food i think have a look there how are these going so far, if i remember rightly you be feeding them 24 hours after they hatch around 4 to 6 times a day maybe even more, when they get old enough you can feed them crushed flake thats like proper crushed flake not in your hands use a spoon that will help then when they get even bigger crushed flake from you hands and then onto normal flake if i'm wrong someone will correct me again congrats and i hope a few survive :D

Thank you zik! I've been feeding them the egg yolk four times a day and changing 15% of the water every day, the egg really makes the water go minging:/

really i bet do they eat it tho? i guess they must be other wise they would be dead by now haha :D such small things

Yep they love it!! They gather in a big cloud when it's time to eat... Like a fry army or something, weird!

you able to get a video of this that would be stunning to see :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back