Zebra Danio And Neon Tetra?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Smyth

Reaction score
hi I have a small tank ad I have 4 neon tetra at the moment, I would like to add some zebra danio to my tank soon, I have a few questions..

1.do zebra danio's and neon tetra's get along (don't fight or eat each other).

2. How many zebra danio? I do have a small tank btw with 4 neon tetra

3. Are they easy to care for?

4. I crush up fish flakes for my neon tetra really small because its normally too big, will zebra danio eat the same food (size) too?

5. ( random question ) if bring water to a pet shop, do you bring it in a plastic bag? And should I do a water change first?

Thanks for your help, sorry if I seem a bit 'thick' in some of the questions I'm new at this kinda thing :hyper:

hey will get along and eat the same food. but it really depends on how small your tank is. how many gallons is it?

hey will get along and eat the same food. but it really depends on how small your tank is. how many gallons is it?
Don't know Actually, will try and dig out the box later, it is small though, fits on my desk and take about 10 minutes to fill, think its under 30 litres :blink:

Don't know Actually, will try and dig out the box later, it is small though, fits on my desk and take about 10 minutes to fill, think its under 30 litres :blink:

30 liters... hmm, what is that in American...

A little more than 7 gallons. Danios do better with more room to swim.

too small for danios IMO. They are highly active and need plenty of room to swim......3ft long tank would be the smallest I would recommend.

Equivalent to about 10 large Coke's at an American Maccy Dees :D

Sorry but a litre is a pretty standard unit of measurement worldwide? But yeah, it's about 6.5 to 7 US gallons.

Haha I hope you're not serious. A gallon can be imperial or US but a litre is a litre is a litre the world over. Apart from America apparently where its a liter!

Sounds like it would be too small for danios, they are fast and like lots of room to chase each other about. Guppies or platies would work however.

I would recommend no smaller than an 80 litre long tank (3ft +) for them since they swim horizontally A LOT. Neons aren't so active mind you.

I've just left a reply in the thread in the emergency section, as your 3 new Zebra Danios are nipping the Neon Tetras (having just seen this thread afterwards)...

Zebra Danios need tanks with plenty of length, 3 foot minmum, personally I would prefer 4-foot. They are one of the most hyperactive fish in the hobby. Like many danios thay are reknowned for being aggressive when kept in small numbers, but become social model community citizens in numbers above six (but the more the better, providing you have stocking room and can keep on top of nitrate levels). Not a good choice to combine with Neon tetras long term, Zebra danios are sub-tropical (18-20C is good for them most of the year), a better choice in a 3-foot tank would have been something like Pearl Danios.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back