Yoyo Loach, Possible Pregnant?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Amavi

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

It has been a while since I popped on the forums, exams are coming up so studying hard. Anyway a few months ago I decided to give my Yoyo loach away as they were being aggressive to other tank mates but because of the exams and coursework that never happened. They have completely settled down and it is only at feeding time do they "bully" everything else. I noticed in the past 2 - 3 weeks that when both together one is rounder in the belly than the other and has progressively become more bigger and it is on both sides of her. (before people suggest they are in a too small of group I have others)

I have read on various websites it is highly unlikely that they can be bred yet "she" seems to guard the rocks and bogwood "she" hides under and even chases the other loach away now. I have tried to get some snaps and I really want your opinion. All my tank levels are fine and none of the other fish show any signs of illness. They have a varied diet of the bottom feeder food (once a day), weekly bloodworm and cucumber every so often.

What do you think? Is it even possible that this fish might be pregnant? If so, should I separate her?

Edit: hit post before submitting pictures!

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

more images to come...

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

Normally loaches have to be chemically induced to spawn so it unlikely spawning will occur. She wont be pregnant she maybe carrying eggs as loaches lay there eggs then the male fertilizes the eggs or a very well fed yoyo.

If you want to try and get them to spawn, a trick that seems to work with a lot of fish is a large 50-80% water change with water 5 deg F cooler than what they are in daily. Seems to simulate the rainy season when most fish spawn.

Seen as they are in an community tank should I separate them both? Thanks for the replies :)

I think a very small amount of people have managed to breed these species despite the difficulty.

Your best bet for advice would be to ask the experts on http://forums.loaches.com/

I believe there are people here who have had success before. Keep us updated as i'd like to know the conditions you are keeping them in. If they are spawning i might be able to replicate your conditions for my botia histrionica :good:

Most reactions

Back