Yoyo Loach - Aggressive Behaviour?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ey2006

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Last week, I added 8 Yoyo loaches to my 360L tank.

I have 20 rummynoses and 16 cardinals, all tetras are mature and have been in the tank for over a year now. The other fish in the tank are 18 clown loaches of various sizes (mostly babies).

During the last two days, I have noticed one cardinal and one rummynose dying with no known cause as the water quality appeared fine (No nitrites, No ammonia, 25 nitrate, pH 6.2) as I had did a water change over the weekend.

It was then I noticed when I turned on the tank light that some of the cardinals and rummynoses had their tails nipped at. I'm not sure if this is due to the yoyo loaches as I haven't caught them in the act. I'm only assuming its due to the yoyos as I have not experienced any similar problem with the tetras before I added the yoyos as the clowns never did any harm to the tetras.

Is there anything I could do at this stage? Is this the general behaviour of some yoyos? I.e. they can tend to get quite feisty? I have noticed that the yoyos haven't been getting much food during feeding as the clowns simply eat "everything" I put in. Will hunger cause them to nip at smaller fish like tetras? I am only speculating here.

I don't want to lose any more tetras so the only thing else I can think of is to get some plants so as to provide shelter and hiding spots for the tetras. Currently, I only have some vals in there, the only reason why the tank is not planted is that each time I add plants, the clowns will destory it with ease within 7 days. Maybe java fern will be the way to go.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Yo yo loaches or Pakistan loaches should not be kept in schools or in pairs. These loaches can become highly aggressive towards one another and should remain loners; however, some hobbyists have kept these fish in small bands without any problems.

They do seem to have somewhat of a pecking order and once this is resolved, aggression may not occur as much. At times, this fish can become aggressive and nippy with others in the community aquarium.

You need to take 7 back unless you want carnage! It is always best to do some research on fish before you buy them as it will save a lot of heartache.

Yo yo loaches or Pakistan loaches should not be kept in schools or in pairs. These loaches can become highly aggressive towards one another and should remain loners; however, some hobbyists have kept these fish in small bands without any problems.

They do seem to have somewhat of a pecking order and once this is resolved, aggression may not occur as much. At times, this fish can become aggressive and nippy with others in the community aquarium.

You need to take 7 back unless you want carnage! It is always best to do some research on fish before you buy them as it will save a lot of heartache.

Hi Gilli,

THanks for the reply. I did do research on them before I got them and have had yoyos in the past. From what I've read, they are best kept in a school of no less than 5, as usually getting just one with be far too cruel for it as, like other loaches, they are schooling fish.

Not sure if I should take 7 back though, I might see how it goes in the next few days.

Anyone else with other thoughts/suggestions?

Hiya EY2006! As I said some people can keep them without problems but most of the articles ive read say dont which is why when I did some research on them I decided to give them a miss. Just goes to show - one expert will tell you one thing then another the opposite!

They do seem to be the most likely candidates for your other injured fish though........ :unsure:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back