Youtubers having aquarium burnout...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I noticed that lately some people who were constantly posting are now tailing off. Some say "burn out" lIke The Water Box,or part burn out to barely a video a month like Rachel O Leary, and then you have Corvis Oscen who just plain stopped with plants and was posting Minecraft for months. "History of Aquarium" guy had his device stolen..but he had hinted that after the KIng of DIY interview went south that he's a bit down on constant vids or as they say "Content".
I've had burn out a few times. SO far after three years,I'm fine with one big aquarium and the plants in it provide the change and interest in needing pruning or replacing.
What do you think? Been there?

Last edited:
I noticed that lately some people who were constantly posting are now tailing off. Some say "burn out" lIke The Water Box,or part burn out to barely a video a month like Rachel O Leary, and then you have Corvis Oscen who just plain stopped with plants and was posting Minecraft for months. "History of Aquarium" guy had his device stolen..but he had hinted that after the KIng of DIY went south that he's a bit down on constant vids or as they say "Content".
I've had burn out a few times. SO far after three years,I'm fine with one big aquarium and the plants in it provide the change and interest in needing pruning or replacing.
What do you think? Been there?
I don't feel I get "burn out" but now and again I do find it hard to get motivated to do my tank maintenance. But when I get round to doing it I feel a great sense of satisfaction.

I had a healthy 500 gallon outdoor system for 2 years full of lovely goldfish I raised from tiny Walmart babies. I decided I was a good fish keeper and I bought a pricey "show grade" fish from an importer. Despite a regular quarantine - after introducing the new fish... I swiftly lost my entire collection to Costia. It was heartbreaking and took me a while to rebound. I never did get back to that size and it took me a while to want to keep fish again... but I learned a ton from that experience and it just made me want to keep going and keep learning.

Part of the MD post was he stopped using Co2 because what did he need with bunches of stems plants that he couldn't give away?..it was just work. Oscen has said he gives some things to Co-op If he happens to prune on a day he visits..otherwise all those pounds of plants?- he feeds them to the chickens ! :eek::lol:

Actually anyone continuing to frequent a forum like this one, simply can't be burnt out or they just wouldn't show up!
However, it's likely that the average hobbyist is going to teeter between casual interest and pure obsession.

As to the tropical fish related Youtubers, there will always be an ebb and flow, but it seems to me it's alive and well. Sure, some may also have lives beyond a YT channel, but good content without rehashing the same old hash can be a challenge. Some invest too much in cameras and microphones and may not see the Youtube $return$...while some others make some serious money. But I hear that the Youtube payout has decreased significantly so if one was in it for the money more than the joy of the hobby, the exit door may look good for some.

Well Rachael has gone through a divorce I believe, and I'm not sure if Joey hasn't; is the lady who is filming him atm his wife? Not to mention all the hastle Joey went through trying to start that public aquarium educational space.

Well Rachael has gone through a divorce I believe, and I'm not sure if Joey hasn't; is the lady who is filming him atm his wife? Not to mention all the hastle Joey went through trying to start that public aquarium educational space.
Her son is also somewhat 'troubled', bless her socks.

That's got to be a whole other issue...almost continuous exposure to the public gaze, through social media.

'Inappropriate reefer' is another I ran across just the other day who said he can't keep up with YouTube rules to post each week and live his own life. So he's going to only do the occasional post.
Who can keep adding fish,plants even aquariums for years? The more you add,the more its a job and a burden. Space..a home only has so much room. Even an aquarium shed as some do is finite in room.
But,funny that so many right now are feeling worn at the same time.

Last edited:
Actually anyone continuing to frequent a forum like this one, simply can't be burnt out or they just wouldn't show up!
However, it's likely that the average hobbyist is going to teeter between casual interest and pure obsession.

As to the tropical fish related Youtubers, there will always be an ebb and flow, but it seems to me it's alive and well. Sure, some may also have lives beyond a YT channel, but good content without rehashing the same old hash can be a challenge. Some invest too much in cameras and microphones and may not see the Youtube $return$...while some others make some serious money. But I hear that the Youtube payout has decreased significantly so if one was in it for the money more than the joy of the hobby, the exit door may look good for some.

That was very well said.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back