Your First Fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

2 bronze corys, followed by couple of swordtails and some guppies. never had live bearers since this first lot but always had corys in one form or another

My first was Michael Fish the fairground goldfish, named after the weather presenter on TV :rolleyes: He lived in a bowl (sorry Mike!) but he had his water changed every week so I guess it wasn't so bad. When we moved house he went into a neighbour's pond.

Ever since I've mostly had fancy goldfish, no more fair ones but nice imported specimen types. My first tropicals would be danios, I guess, or possibly my pictus cats.

my first fish were 5 zebra dannios and 5 neons, they soon died during the cycling of my tank didn't know wot i was doing :blush:
that was 8 years ago wow seems like yesterday

My first fish was 2 male and 8 female guppies. And quickly grow to around 50 and between 3 tanks lol. Pretty good for when i was 14ish

my first fish were 5 serpea tetra which i added to my first tank after letting the filter run for 3 days :lol:
2 of them are still alive in my mother in laws tank

my first fish was a mystus leucophsis or asian upside downc atfish sold to me as a community fish that would grow 3" long my dad was non to impressed when it emptied his tank :lol:

needless to say there my favourite fish now that original one really kick started fish keeping for me she was ruthless and i loved it :wub: :devil: she died at just shy of 1 foot long :-( had 3 other sort of overlaping since then love that fish :D

i think almost everyones first fish has got to be a goldfish-proberbly first pet if u know what i mean....i had 2 goldfish not gunna say their names to embarrassing :lol: i think then i had neon tetras and guppys. i can still remember when guppies were hardy enough to live in a coldwater tank! shame breeding them for colours stopped that.

Mine were 6 zebra danios but they all died 2 months after I got them because of a freak tank incident! :unsure:

12 years ago - a goldfish I won at a fair that I kept in a cookie jar.

Around the same time, a betta that died when my uncle thought it would be funny to put another male in and watch them tear eachother apart. Got an infection or something.

A little later, a tiny fishie my cousin caught at a lake. It lived happily enough in a little 1 gal with no filtration or anything until I put one of those dwarf frogs in with it and it nipped him in the gut. Poor thing was swimming around with its insides falling out until it died.

me los encanto ever since.

My first fish was from a garage sell. I was probably ten and convinced my mom to buy me a fish tank that came stocked. :rolleyes: a ten gallon tank with so many guppies you couldnt see thru the tank. So knowing nothing about fish we took it home and plugged it in and in a few days had half as many fish, but could see now one Beautiful Angel fish.

Neon Tetra's but only one poor little one left. They cycled my first tank. Were in with bala's and a Plec did quite well I think. I just think they are great for being so small.

I had goldfish in a bowl for years...

Looking back, knowing the things I know now, I feel so bad for what those poor goldies would have went through!

It was when I decided to get a bigger tank, and go tropicals instead I went crazy with the learning.....and realised how big a mistake keeping those goldfish all that time was...:(

Most reactions

Back