Young platy swimming weird?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Daniel Stephen

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had some fry born almost a year ago however one seems to be stunted in growth compared to others born at the same time.

We call her Lily & have another the exact same called alan who is bigger. It appears to swim around the tank as per normal but every 5-10 minutes it goes up to a top corner of the tank and will be still in a vertical position. I have attached a video/photo.

I am unsure if this is something like swim bladder disease or another condition, if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

d588b9804e6fce68fb83d7fbe2dfb5d6.jpg
9d2fb1049a68e31ea81c1899d60f86f9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long has she been doing this? Normally with swim bladder they canā€™t maneuver up and down. Theyā€™re either stuck down or stuck up at top. Has she just started favoring that corner? I see the male is right at her side. Are their other females in the tank? How many males?

How long has she been doing this? Normally with swim bladder they canā€™t maneuver up and down. Theyā€™re either stuck down or stuck up at top. Has she just started favoring that corner? I see the male is right at her side. Are their other females in the tank? How many males?
. You may need another couple of females so she isnā€™t harassed. My female use to go hide because one male had decided she was his and didnā€™t give her a minutes rest.

This is a very new thing, only today.

At the moment we have 1 female to the 4 males which I know isnā€™t correct. We had a female pass away a few weeks back and the others are all the fry which were born about a year ago.

We only named her lily because her and the male in the pic are the exact same and har to distinguish. I actually think lily is male.

Does having majority males cause friction in the tank?

The 2 red & black fish in the pic posted were born at the same time but lily is much smaller. They have follow each other around since fry which inspired the names lily & alan after the iconic female artist

Is Lily the one on the top in the pic? That one is a female and the other is a male. She is probably going to the corner to rest from those fiesty boys. You need more females. She isnā€™t going to make it being the only female. Just too much stress on one female. Good luck!

Oh really? How can you tell other than the bottom fins? I thought that having the straighter bottom fin was male so thought she was.

In that case I have 2 females to the 3 males. I shall get myself a couple more females to help balance it out and hope for some more fry

The anal fin/ gonopodium (to the back of the belly) is pointy in males and fan shaped in females. The Orange and black fish are males. The others in the top picture are too blurry to see.

Oh yes this is as I thought then. I am able to sex the others. Was just as I thought it was.

Thanks

I apologize but the top one still appears to have a fan shaped anal fin to me. Guess itā€™s just my eyes. You are correct in the fact that the males have the ā€œstickā€ shaped anal fun. Platies are easy to sex.

The anal fin/ gonopodium (to the back of the belly) is pointy in males and fan shaped in females. The Orange and black fish are males. The others in the top picture are too blurry to see.
@Naughts Then why does the top one have a larger anal fin? More fan shaped.

@Naughts Then why does the top one have a larger anal fin? More fan shaped.

9cd7ca137417e5b0a715381ffb66afbf.jpg

1st photo (upright fish) is who I have been calling Lily, the smaller of the 2. She is actually a male if I am correct.

cf4bd4418767f9cf104dfe734345bd62.jpg

2nd photo (straight fish) is who I call Alan, who is deffo male. They were born at the same time but this fish is much bigger, would there be any reason to why?

Yes, this pic does show the gonopodium quite clearly. She is a he. Lol!

Haha thatā€™s as I thought then. Will have to start calling him something other than lily then [emoji23]

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back