You Can't Always Get What You Want (Stones Cover)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

WhistlingBadger

Professional Cat Herder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
My first graders cover the classic Rolling Stones song, with the verses re-written into things first graders care about, not all that stupid love stuff. I think this might just be the perfect first grade song...

PS. Before anyone expresses concern, be advised that this is all legal, shareable, kosher, ethical, and otherwise okey-dokey to put on youtube. Trust me. I'm a music teacher. 😁

As you know, the Stone's song was released in 1969. In that same year so was this, which maybe your class would enjoy as a history lesson.

Here's the original Muppet performance (in best quality) of "Mah-Na, Mah-Na" (or "Mah Nà Mah Nà", composed by Piero Umiliani, the song first written for use in the Italian film "Sweden - Heaven and Hell" [1968]).

This performance first aired on Episode #14 of Sesame Street, which premiered on Thursday, November 27th 1969. (three days later, on Sunday, November 30th 1969, a modified version of the sketch appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show).

This was before the same musical piece (in a different arrangement) would be featured by Benny Hill in various sketches (as beginning in 1971). (the Mah-Na, Mah-Na sketch would later also be remade most famously on The Muppet Show, in a 1977 edition on which Juliet Prowse was guest. It's this version that people are likely most familiar with).

It starts with two girl Muppets (voiced by Loretta Long and Frank Oz) saying they could sing a song if only one other joined them. At this point, the "Mah-Na, Mah-Na" Muppet (later christened "Bip Bippadotta" for distinction), voiced by Jim Henson, comes up to them, only intoning said phrase, at which the number begins and at two points he does some scat singing. In the end, the girls leave, and he goes gradually off away from the camera.

Doo-doo-dee-doo-doo? Or Bah-dee-pee-tee-pee? Depends on which version.

As you know, the Stone's song was released in 1969. In that same year so was this, which maybe your class would enjoy as a history lesson.

Here's the original Muppet performance (in best quality) of "Mah-Na, Mah-Na" (or "Mah Nà Mah Nà", composed by Piero Umiliani, the song first written for use in the Italian film "Sweden - Heaven and Hell" [1968]).

This performance first aired on Episode #14 of Sesame Street, which premiered on Thursday, November 27th 1969. (three days later, on Sunday, November 30th 1969, a modified version of the sketch appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show).

This was before the same musical piece (in a different arrangement) would be featured by Benny Hill in various sketches (as beginning in 1971). (the Mah-Na, Mah-Na sketch would later also be remade most famously on The Muppet Show, in a 1977 edition on which Juliet Prowse was guest. It's this version that people are likely most familiar with).

It starts with two girl Muppets (voiced by Loretta Long and Frank Oz) saying they could sing a song if only one other joined them. At this point, the "Mah-Na, Mah-Na" Muppet (later christened "Bip Bippadotta" for distinction), voiced by Jim Henson, comes up to them, only intoning said phrase, at which the number begins and at two points he does some scat singing. In the end, the girls leave, and he goes gradually off away from the camera.

Doo-doo-dee-doo-doo? Or Bah-dee-pee-tee-pee? Depends on which version.

We did Mah na mah na a few years ago. It was a huge hit. :lol:

My first graders cover the classic Rolling Stones song, with the verses re-written into things first graders care about, not all that stupid love stuff. I think this might just be the perfect first grade song...

PS. Before anyone expresses concern, be advised that this is all legal, shareable, kosher, ethical, and otherwise okey-dokey to put on youtube. Trust me. I'm a music teacher. 😁

That was fantastic and adorable! I've taught 1st grade for 22 years and that's the cutest concert I've seen!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back