Yet Another Turning To Marines

i would have thought it would make a big difference? I was planning to put in the sand after my LR, so if my LR makes a big footprint on the tank its going to need less sand than if there was no LR??

I just bought 2x seio m1500 :) so thats the minimal flow sorted, now to keep an eye out for some smaller powerheads :D

Yes, you'll need less sand if you have a big LR foot print, but the amount of sand you add makes no difference to LR quantities, which is what I initially thought you were asking... :good:

nooo sorry, didnt mean for it to come across like that. Hoping to get at least 20kg in to start off with, with an aim of around 50kg total

Rock has to go in first, that way the sand compacts itself around the rock keeping it stable, if the rock is on the sand (not in) a simple burrowing creature may create a tunnel causing a rockslide. So its rock, sand, water.

Yeah I know the rock needs to go in first, hence my thought about needing less sand if i have a bigger live rock footprint :good:

i found a calc some where, think it was in a link above. Looks like i'll need 2 bags for a 1" sand bed, but all that will depend on how much rock i have. I'll more than likely just buy the one bag and see how i go. Need to look into a skimmer and lights now, heard that the MCE 600 is a good choice but im not sure how t would fit on my tank without modifying the hood a bit. Also with the lights i dont know if i should go with luminaire, bit much at £475 though!!

EDIT

Just found these again was going to buy them for my planted tank but didnt for some reason:

http://www.cupargardencentre.co.uk/acatalo...LUORESCENT.html

£66 each for the double 55w T5's, seems like a bargain to me would get 2 i think, then would have 4x 55w t5 tubes which would give me a good amount of light and free up the side to add a skimmer.

Now just to find some condensation covers :lol:

###### it! why isnt this hobby cheaper, just looked at the price of T5 tubes :crazy: :crazy:

Expensive indeed :crazy: just do a quick check to see if those units take other tubes except the hagen ones and also remember that all tubes do not have the same kelvin rating :crazy: so for example I have the juwel high lights, which have a kelvin of 22000 but the arcadia equivalant marine white is 14000

Some times a bargain is not such a bargain!

What lighting do you have at the moment, sorry i have forgotten

Seffie x

:fish:

at the moment i just have 2 x 38w t8's with reflectors, used to have 4x 38w but the one unit let water in and it broke :(

Will have to look into the lights thanks for the advise :good:

Hello Ian
Have you got a better pic of your FW tank that your converting, if that’s it at the bottom of your sig then it looks a lot like the tank that trod has {seffies sister} if it’s the same tank then she would be able to give you a lot of help and advice as she has already done all the hard work research ect and set her tank up. :good:

Not my pic but this is the same tank:

aqua_one_%20aquience_bow_1500.jpg

Its 5ft long, 2 ft high and bow fronted with 1.5ft being at the highest point of the bow and 1ft being the lowest

Well spotted John, it does look like the one Trod has.

She has decided to keep the stock two bars (t8) and has just put in some new marine bulbs and reflectors, she will not be keeping any light loving corals yet. She is then toying with the idea of replacing the two bars with juwel I bars and T5 marine tubes or even an overhead in about six months.

The I bar that fits your tank (if it is the five footer aqua ) is the 150 I bar or the arcadia equivalant - please measure your tank to confirm this before/if you buy though, as this isn't my strongest area :lol: although Trod did check it when she came round :blush:

We found them on sites between about £80 to £107 ish with free postage but then you need the tubes as well, expect them to be between £22 and £26 each, then they need reflectors, which will set you back about £10 for a pair.

So you are looking in the region of £200 to just replace the bars, you will obviously need tubes anyway at some point

So round figures: £300 say it quick and it doesn't hurt so much.

Options:

Replace one bar and have 2 x T5 and 2 x T8 3 x marine white and 1 x blue actinic - could have corals like Euphyllia
Replace both bars = 4 x T5
Stay with what you have, just replace the tubes to 3 x marine white and 1 x blue and don't have higher light corals
Make a LED hood like Rabbut and Morri
Halides - could keep anything but high running costs
Overtank T5s

Seffie x

:fish:

"say it fast and t doesnt hurt" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure what to do for the best tbh. I'm thinking of just buying a T5 ballast and replacing the orginal t8's with t5's. A bit of silicone here and there and all would be good i think? Or i *think* i can get T6 bulbs, not sure if i can get them in the length i need though. Also yes the tank is 5ft long :)

I would like some puling xenia, some toadstools and would like some zoa's. Also like the hammer head coral (think thats what its called? (basically anything that moves/sways and looks pretty :lol: :lol: Dont really like hard corals, which is a good thing i guess? )

but it looks so soft and squishy :( :( :lol:

Oh well, will more than likely go for overtank t5's though as im guessing it wont be long before water gets in the other unit and that goes ca-put :(

Most reactions

Back