Yet Another Stocking Thread - Sorry!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ENWOD

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this and have always wanted an aquarium so bit the bullet and here we are.

Bought a Dennerle Scapers tank (50L - 45x35x31 WxDxH) a few months ago. Originally went for an internal filter and then changed my mind when I no longer liked the look and now have an Eheim 2213.

I've fishless cycled for the last two months-ish, had some algae issues along the way and I'm now reasonably settled and introduced x6 Red Cherry Shrimp and two nerites a few days ago (The nerites arrived not in the best of shape with one dead and the nitrite content of their shipping water was sky high and it looks like I've now lost the second).

This looks to be the reason as the shrimp are loving it and continuously chowing down on the remaining algae in the tank.

Anyway - to the point.

I'd like to introduce some fish (once I know I'm able to keep the shrimp alive). The tank is planted with HC carpet, ranunculus inundatus, Pogostemon erectus, Fissidens fontanus and some algae...

I've been reading and all of the calculators say I should be able to have the following:

x10 Celestial Pearl Danios
x3 Oto's

However, I'd like to know whether this is going to be too much/unfair on the fish and whether I'm better having x2 Oto's and possibly less Danios or whether this is also cruel as I've read the Oto's like to be in 3's or more?

Any help and feedback is appreciated :)

Cheers.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Welcome to the forum
smile.png

Is your water hard or soft? Your two chosen species really like two differing kinds of water; the CPD like it hard(ish) and the otos prefer it soft.

Thanks for the prompt reply and welcome;

Forgot to include that info; I have hard water (Down in Essex)

Is that to say that the otos wouldn't be able to cope or would it be ok-ish if I'm able to source them from somewhere nearby that uses similarly hard water in their tanks?

Cheers :)

You may struggle with the otos, tbh.

They're mostly wild caught and don't adapt to captivity at all well; many of them never learn to take prepared foods. Expecting them to adapt to hard water too might be asking a bit much of them
confused.gif

On the positive side, you can easily house the 10 CPD; possibly even double if you make sure you keep up your regular water changes. They're so small (I keep the closely related dwarf emerald danios myself) that they don't make much mess, so you can 'overstock' quite significantly and they are very shy, so really do need to be in as large a group as possible.

Thanks again for your answer - I'll steer well clear of the otos and get a few extra danios. :)

If you would like another species of fish, then Endlers are also small and like hard water. Do get only males though, as they're as bad as guppies for breeding!

I found my dwarf emeralds became a lot braver when I got a few Endlers, as Endlers are too stupid to be scared of anything, so they're out in the open all the time
smile.png

fluttermoth said:
If you would like another species of fish, then Endlers are also small and like hard water. Do get only males though, as they're as bad as guppies for breeding!

I found my dwarf emeralds became a lot braver when I got a few Endlers, as Endlers are too stupid to be scared of anything, so they're out in the open all the time
smile.png

:lol: Sooooo true!

But yes, I agree, these little danios, both emeralds and CPDs are much better in larger shoals, at least 15 would be acceptable minimum imho.

I have both these but in different tanks, they may breed and hybridise so best avoided to keep cpds and emeralds together.

Endlers are another nice choice to have, very active guys and indeed not too smart in the brains dept but they make up for it in their character ;) These can be kept with danios as well no problem at all.

I do love my Endlers; great little guys, once I'd stopped them jumping into the filer compartment (I have them in an AquaNano 40); that annoyed me, they wouldn't stop doing it!

CPD's are lovely but definitely best in a larger shoal.  My shoal numbers about 40 at the moment.  IMHO it's not a fish you should keep in any less than at least a dozen but two dozen would be more appropriate. 

Endlers would look great in that tank.  You could also possibly consider Ember tetras.

Cheers for the help everyone.

I have considered Endlers, ember tetras but I'm drawn to the CPD's.

When you said to consider the Endlers - is that combining them in my tank or as an alternative?

I'm thinking I'll get 15-20 CPD's or get 15 and handful of Endlers if that was one of the suggestions/would be ok with my tank size and the shoal quantities?

P.S. there's a picture of the tank which is reasonably recent if that helps with anything?
http://i.imgur.com/cVvhc1X.jpg

I suggested the Endlers as an addition, if you like them, as it gives your tank (which looks great, btw!) a bit of variety and having bolder fish around makes your shyer fish bolder too.

I think you'd be fine with stocking those numbers; these are all very small fish with a very smallbioload, although you will need to keep an eye on your nitrate levels.

Cheers again fluttermoth,

Didn't even know what Endlers were but after doing a bit of research I'd definitely be interested in adding a few especially due to their less than bright nature!

However I'm struggling to find some male only listings/sites - do you happen to have any suggestions?
Thanks for the compliments! Still have some algae issues but I'm reasonably proud of it at the moment :)

Cheers :)

Most LFS usually will have endlers and usually are males due to their colourings/markings as females tends to be slightly larger and much plainer in colour.

You will find them as black bar endlers or guppy endlers as the usual names of Poecilia wingei.

Pretty cheap for these as well as they breed pretty profically.

Always worth just getting males endlers as a community tank with other small species, and cpd are perfect tankmates.

I have in my main tank, about 20 CPD's, 6 black bar endlers and a dozen copper harlequins with a bunch of cherry shrimps and snails and this is my favourite tank to be perfectly honest :)

Ch4rlie said:
I have in my main tank, about 20 CPD's, 6 black bar endlers and a dozen copper harlequins with a bunch of cherry shrimps and snails and this is my favourite tank to be perfectly honest
smile.png
I have my little 55l next to my bed, where I sit and read of an evening, and it's got 18 dwarf emeralds, three Endlers and some shrimps (red rhinos and blue jellies) and it might be my favourite tank too
smile.png

Went for 15 CPD's and 4 endlers.

They all seem to be settling in ok. Seems the CPD's are following the endlers a lot, who when they're not being brave are chasing after their reflections...

I think the endlers may be my favourites so thanks for suggesting those!

They're all occasionally swimming against the filter outlet but assume this is normal?

The RCS are now being a tad more cautious now their kingdom has been overrun.

Picture below for the hell of it: https://imgur.com/N1KRoca

I'll no doubt be back with more questions but thanks for your help everyone :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back