Yet another cycling question

phil

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All

I currently have (now) 4 tanks (not bad considering I only started November 04) :hyper:

Tank 1 is fine Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates 20. (48x15x12)

Tank 2 is also okay readings as above. (18x10x10)

Tank 3 Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0.2 p.p.m., Nitrates 10 (12x10x10)

Tank 4 is currently being cycled (fishless). Ammonia 2.0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, (48x18x12)

I have live plants in all tanks.

My question is this:-

Would it help speed the cycling process if when I do my water changes I use the old water from the other tanks to replace the water in the tank I am currently cycling ?

My reasoning behind this is these tanks are cycled or cycling, they have the friendly bacteria already there (so will introduce these bacteria into the new tank), the water with the Nitrite reading will boost the production of the bacteria that breaks it down by providing a ready available (?food) source on which to work.

Am I correct in my thoughts (or will I make a total mess if I do it) :dunno:

Thanks for your help.

Phil

The helpful bacteria does not live in the water, rather it lives on surfaces, like ornaments, gravel, and the filter media. Shifting some of your filter media or gravel from an established tank would help :nod:

P.T.

Same as the above reply take some gravel from another tank and a sponge, as long as there is no desease in the tank, or medication.

Most reactions

Back