Yellow Water

Ok I think I may be able to clear up this carbon thing unless I am overruled by someone with more experience. I was a chemistry major was told by my professor that carbon will bind chemicals in water until its binding sites have been used up. At this point it might release a previously bound toxin to bind something else. So in my understanding this means that old carbon doesn't magically release toxins at a certain date, but if it is fully saturated it will trade previously bond chemicals(toxins) for other chemicals in the water.

Carl

Thank you. I was going to mention something similar before reading this.

Knowing the way Activated carbon works It would not release any bonded molecules, And unless you have added something to the water that would make a more stable bond with the carbon molecular lattice. There for it would not leach toxins back into the water mealy stop removing them. That is why it need to be changed if you use it.

wow...... thats hot don't think I'll be generating that high of a temp at home. Think I'll just buy more!

I forgot to mention this. If anyone does try to do this it has to be done outside or with lots of ventilation. At these temps the charcoal will also put off a lot of carbon monoxide.

Carl

Most reactions

Back