Yellow Water

Matthew5664

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi just wondering if anyone has a colour tint to there water mine is going very faint yellow in colour?? the NH3/4 and NO2/3 are fine only thing i think it could be is the bogwood or the plants? only happens toward day 6 in my 7 day cycle. day 7 is water change day after this its fine for 5 or so days?? I soaked the bogwood befor it went in for 24 hours??

120l
6 platies
3 dwarf gori's
1 betta
1 pleco (gold nugget)
2 Rams ( I know they shouldn't realy be in there but there wait for my other tank to cycle and they were a steal at £7 for both)

Yeah, bogwood does that. Completely harmless and really a more natural look, but if you don'tike it you can always try boiling the bogwood.

As I'm not adding medication to the tank at the moment (White spots gone) could i put the carbon back in my filter? I think that might help??

Yes, but remember not to leave the carbon in for longer then a fortnight. After that it's useless and will eventually leak toxins back into the system. The carbon will polish the water up tho. I occassionally get slightly cloudy water in my various tanks despite good water conditions and I find if I put activated carbon in one of my filters (all my larger tanks have 2 or more filters running) it'll polish it up within days. :)
Hugs,
P.

Ive got bogwood (mopani) in mine, and i did boil it first, and i still have a slight yellow tinge to the water, but with regular water changes, this isnt very noticeable, and yes it is more natural for the fish, i hear they like it this way

C x

if the fish like it I'll think I'll leave it. It's a bit of home away from home. If you know what I meen. I dont think I do? Do I. I keep doing this answering myself when tying a reply to somthing, then I shart to waffel for topic and get very confuzzzzzed AAAAGGGGHHHH

Had some caffein thismorning think it's hit home

My fish seem to love the tinted water. Since my driftwood has been in there for a couple of months now the amounts of tannins leached is becoming less and less. I was actually thinking of buying some blackwater extract to make the tank more natural for them. :nod:

Here is a link where this was previously discussed and what the benefits are. http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...1218&hl=tannins

Hope that helps!

Yes, but remember not to leave the carbon in for longer then a fortnight. After that it's useless and will eventually leak toxins back into the system. The carbon will polish the water up tho. I occassionally get slightly cloudy water in my various tanks despite good water conditions and I find if I put activated carbon in one of my filters (all my larger tanks have 2 or more filters running) it'll polish it up within days. :)
Hugs,
P.

I have never heard of this? Can you run your filters with out carbon and all will be ok? I have always kept carbon in my filters. Im from the old school and this is the first time Ive heard of carbon breaking down and releasing toxins into the water. I always thought carbon was completely safe :eek: Please let me know!!! Thanks Jimmy

Well, if you've been running yoru carbon for months on end its probably allready spent and leeched any toxins back into the biosphere by now. At this point for an old tank the carbon is probably just covered with beneficial bacteria to the point where its more beneficial than dangerous imo. I might be misled here, but I too used to run as you say an oldschool tank with carbon for years without a problem. I guess its one of those your mileage may vary things

Thanks SkiFletch I had always believed that you had to have it in there but obviously not. I just added a Fluval 404 to my 55 gal. and at present its got a whole lot of carbon in it! So I guess I need to remove it before to long but how long is a fortnight? :-(

carbon releasing toxins back in the water is nothing scientific i believe, more a myth

if i'm wrong about that please show me evidence of this an i'm sorry

Ok I think I may be able to clear up this carbon thing unless I am overruled by someone with more experience. I was a chemistry major was told by my professor that carbon will bind chemicals in water until its binding sites have been used up. At this point it might release a previously bound toxin to bind something else. So in my understanding this means that old carbon doesn't magically release toxins at a certain date, but if it is fully saturated it will trade previously bond chemicals(toxins) for other chemicals in the water.

Carl

Yeah, but its not easy. I've been told that if you bake carbon at 800-1000 degrees Farenheit that all of the impurities (NO3, NO2, PO4) will sublimate (turn to a gas) off. Not 100% sure about the temp, but it does work, though it might be a bit dicier if you're worried about heavy metals,

Carl

Most reactions

Back