Yellow Phantom Tetra, Red Phantom Tetra And Black Phantom Tetra

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

VickiandKev

Fishaholic
Reaction score
We have a big shoal of phantom tetra, recently added to.
We initially had 5 female black phantom tetra but decided to expand the shoal the other day. We went to our nearest decent aquatic centre and got some advice and came away with 4 yellow phantom tetra (never seen or heard of these before, they have yellow bodies, the shoulder marking like every other phantom and red fins), 2 red phantom tetra and 2 male black phantom tetra. All of these fish shoal together which is lovely, and what we were aiming for.
Are they different species or variants of the same?

Also, one of our males has a lopsided bottom lip/jaw - it's not a recent wound or anything and is not at all emaciated (in fact he's very well fed) - is this going to pose any problem for him? I was going to take him back but am kind of fond of him and I know no-one else will buy him in that state. It's not overly obvious but when you look at him you can tell.
And one of our yellow phantoms only has one eye. S/he has an empty dip/socket the other side - again this is a clean, healed wound so it must have been a transport injury that caused regression of the eyeball into the socket. Again this fish is feeding well and is healthy in every other way, does it matter overly?

I'm a sucker for the unwanteds and don't want to take these back unless these defects will severely affect their quality of life and lifespan.

Sorry for the question overload but any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi, All three tetras are individual species but from the same genus , Red Phantom (Hyphessobrycon sweglesi), Black Phantom (Hyphessobrycon megalopterus), and Yellow Phantom (Hyphessobrycon roseus). can't help you with medical ailments though, sorry.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back