Yellow Panchax Killi

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

emerica789

Reaction score
Benjamin Linus, our killi has outlived a lot of tragedy in our tank, he just hangs out around the surface and eats a lot, but today we bought 3 harlequin rasboras and he snagged the smallest one and was trying to eat it tail first. My boyfriend was nervous he would choke so he took out the injured fish, but now I wonder if he needs more protein in his diet, I have read they need blood worms or something similar, he is about 6 months old, maybe 2.5" long. Is this a cry for more substantial food than flakes? I didn't think that killi's ate live fish?

Not all Panchax are suitable in community tanks with smaller fish as they are predatory. If he can fit it in his mouth, he will try to eat it, I'm afraid.
You could try varying his diet with pellets, frozen food etc. but any small fish will still likely be a target.

Benjamin Linus, our killi has outlived a lot of tragedy in our tank, he just hangs out around the surface and eats a lot, but today we bought 3 harlequin rasboras and he snagged the smallest one and was trying to eat it tail first. My boyfriend was nervous he would choke so he took out the injured fish, but now I wonder if he needs more protein in his diet, I have read they need blood worms or something similar, he is about 6 months old, maybe 2.5" long. Is this a cry for more substantial food than flakes? I didn't think that killi's ate live fish?

Golden Panchax are predators that will try and consume anything that they can fit in their mouths, if you want to keep these stick to fish that are 2inches or bigger

Thanks guys, I am still pretty new at this and am quickly learning to research species a little more before putting them into my tank!!

Just learning how to use this, bear with me pls.
(my son pointed out my previous errors)

Have 2 female Yellow Panchax killis.
Just recently learned that they were jumpers
(Lost my male a few night s ago)
:-(
Have dropped the tank level now.

My larger female snarfed down a couple of rummy nosed tetras before I discovered her with one's rummies tail in her mouth.
Rescued the reamining rummies and moved to smaller tank.

I feed shrimp and crisps so I think killi's are oportunists when smaller (Bite sized) fish are present.

Lesson learned.

Yeah we also learned about these fish AFTER we bought 2.
Ours never tryed to eat our rasbora, but definitely did not get along with the other killifish and didn't get along with the orange colored platy either.
I love our remaining killi though... even if he is a pain in the butt.

I find out after buying (in mistakenly thinking all killi's are harmless) that they're predators. Fortunately I did proper research as soon as I arrived home and moved him into a tank with only fish bigger than he was.

Unfortunately I didn't get a lid for said tank. Only actually found him 4 months later when I moved house.

ACK, that stinks tenohfive!
When our killi was in a 10gal... I'd often hear a splash and a thump as it hit the hood of the tank.
I dunno what he was trying to accomplish, but he tryed every night :p lol

He's awesome in our 125 though. He's getting along well with all of the other fish, and is just one of the most curious fish. When we were floating the clown loaches and albino tiger barbs, he hovered right by the bags, checking the new fish out for a few minutes. Love him so much!

Great fish... in the right tank :D hehe

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back