Yellow Electrics Mating!

new2yellowfish

Reaction score
hey alll!!

last night i think my electrics where mating they were swiming in circles together as one and doing that shakeing thing.
they then went down to the back fin near each other tail and put their heads there. they dont the circle thing again. then they stopped. i dont know how long they where doing it but i noticed it when i woke up. they stayed at it for like half an hour when i noticed it happening. did he fertilize the eggs in her mouth?
without putting the eggs in the nest?
:blink:

Yup! the eggs get fertilized in the mouth for mouthbrooding african cichlids (to the best of my knowledge that is since I don't breed them currently).

Yup! the eggs get fertilized in the mouth for mouthbrooding african cichlids (to the best of my knowledge that is since I don't breed them currently).

Actually the female lays the eggs on a flat surface (such as a rock), the male fertilizes them and the female scoops them up into her mouth. Well, technically the eggs sit in her throat in a bucchal pouch. :good:

^^ Yup, and that is where the eggs will stay until they hatch, and until the little fry decide to come out. Usually it is around 2-3 weeks.

-FHM

^^ Yup, and that is where the eggs will stay until they hatch, and until the little fry decide to come out. Usually it is around 2-3 weeks.

-FHM

Although it's not uncommon for a particularly stubborn female to hold as long as 32 days, been there and stressed about it. :lol:

Most reactions

Back