Yellow Dwarf Angelfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kuzyaburst

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience from a Yellow Dwarf Angel?I want to get one but there are like no videos of them and no overviews. How do these fish act in reefs? Are they a little more friendly to corals and other species of fish or their own kind? I wanted to get a Yellow Angel and a Flame Angel but I'm scared they will be too aggressive towards each other. If you have owned one what was the maximum size it grew in your tank, and what size was your tank? Thank you if anyone can respond and help me out that would be great! Thanks!

kuzyaburst said:
Has anyone had any experience from a Yellow Dwarf Angel?I want to get one but there are like no videos of them and no overviews. How do these fish act in reefs? Are they a little more friendly to corals and other species of fish or their own kind? I wanted to get a Yellow Angel and a Flame Angel but I'm scared they will be too aggressive towards each other. If you have owned one what was the maximum size it grew in your tank, and what size was your tank? Thank you if anyone can respond and help me out that would be great! Thanks!

You'll get the usual angel risks in a reef they tend to end up nipping at corals at some point in their life. Some do it straight away but ive seen others say they took years to do it. 

Not sure on compatibility with a flame angel though, but id assume given enough space they could be fine but dont quote me on it.

Yellow Angelfish(Centropyge heraldi) reach approx. 10cm(3.9in) and are coral nippers if their diet is not properly maintained and the proper nutrition given. Same for Flame Angelfish(Centropyge loricula).

Yellow Angelfish are also called False Lemonpeel Angelfish but can be distinguished by the fact that they do not possess the blue eye ring that Lemonpeel's do.
It's a good idea to have a lot of micro algae in your tank when you get the fish as they need a constant supply(like Flame's) and some individuals will not eat anything apart from this algae when first introduced into the tank. This will also help with preventing the Angel nipping at corals as algae is a large part of their diet. 

The minimum recommended tank size for one C. heraldi is 70 gallons with the same for C. loricula, though a 55 gallon will work for a single specimen if maintained properly. So for both fish, due to aggression, you're looking at around about 120-150 gallons and even then you're not guaranteed to have a peaceful tank. Angelfish are aggressive to each other no matter what size tank and will have fights occasionally, sometimes you get the ones that are extremely peaceful but on the other hand you also get the ones hell bent on killing each other. It's risk having both in the tank, they could be fine for ages and then suddenly hate each other. So make sure you have a back up plan if you choose to get both.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back