yellow catfish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

seffieuk

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!
Reaction score
hi

saw a bright yellow smallish, about 2cm looking fish :*) today. was sucking on wood in the tank and was very active. looked like some sort of catfish (the boy, in the shop didnt know what it was!) It was in the tropical section with some discus. does anyone have any ideas what it might be so i can do some research on it?

seffieuk said:
hi

saw a bright yellow smallish, about 2cm looking fish :*) today. was sucking on wood in the tank and was very active. looked like some sort of catfish (the boy, in the shop didnt know what it was!) It was in the tropical section with some discus. does anyone have any ideas what it might be so i can do some research on it?
[snapback]859224[/snapback]​

Any other markings on him or is he just plain yellow? And what sort of shape was he - flat or arched for example. I'm thinking it sounds like an albino bristlenose or common plec, but I can only really confirm that with more detail.

hi Lady Minion

No it wasn't either of those. it was the same sort of shape as my yoyo loaches (could it be a botia, hadnt thought of that?) however it had the sucking mouth (not sure what that is called :*) ) it was very actively sucking on a large piece of wood in the tank. it was 'bright' yellow, that's what caught my eye, not albino. hope u can help it was a very nice fish but wouldnt buy without knowing what it is and how big it might get :crazy:

Which is not a catfish at all, and is related to loaches but sucks on slime coats of other fish as an adult. I wish some of the fish in the trade were not in the trade.

Teelie said:
Which is not a catfish at all, and is related to loaches but sucks on slime coats of other fish as an adult. I wish some of the fish in the trade were not in the trade.
[snapback]859328[/snapback]​

i will be giving that one a wide berth then :blink: thanks for the help all

hi

i have done some research and the fish is not a chinese algae eater. have been looking at Botias, which most resemble this fish. read one teasing webpage where someone mentioned a bright yellow (as in Tang colour) botia, however they didnt go on to say what sort it was, just that it had been a rare find in amoungst other Botias. someone please put me out of my misery :byebye:

Hi,

Are you sure it's not a chinese algae eater take a look at the bottom picture on this site http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/algeater.htm my lfs has them in all the time as golden sucking loach. They also sell them 8 for £5 my brother in law who knows nothing about fish bought 8 for a tiny tank and they killed most of his fish. He has now given up fishkeeping and i have the survivors. Not the nasty algae eaters though.

Hope this helps

Emma

Teelie said:
[snapback]859328[/snapback]​
Teelie, I appreciate some might do, as they get much larger, but I've had several over the years and I've never had problems with any. Then again, I've never had any larger than 5" so that might be one reason. I've had my current one in my one community tank for 3 years now.

hi

the yellow is more like a marine fish, when i say bright yellow i mean BRIGHT yellow with no other markings (imagine a yellow tang). the algae eater (golden) just isnt bright or yellow enough :blink:

thanks for all your ongoing help :D

Just a guess, but there are several types of bright yellow Cichlids - such as a Electric Yellow lab ? I don't know much at all about Cichlids, but I know there are other bright yellow ones as well.

Edit: oops, but none of them suck on wood ! :*) :lol:

I just thought of something else !
Doh.gif
What about these bright yellow Bristlenose Catfish ? If it didn't have bristles, it could have been female ?

hi all

well, the electric yellow lab is the right colour, the yellow bristlenose is awsome but not the right body shape, the peteobagrus fulvidraco (yellow catfish) is the closest so far, however i'm not convinced it is what i saw in the lfs as it doesn't have a sucker mouth (what is the proper name for a mouth like that?). think we r getting closer. this is a bit like an internet treasure hunt :kana: thanks everyone for trying to help out, this is really bugging me now :rofl:

Uhm well what about going back to the shop or phoning them to ask - that way it will put us all out of our misery and suspense :lol: ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back