Yamato Shrimp In Fw Tank W/ Eggs

sammy86

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello there!
I've just noticed one of my Yamatos is carrying a bunchload of eggs! I've heard it's hard to raise babies from Yamato's but i'd like to give it a try!

I read that they need slightly salted water to survive, can i add a small amount of salt to my FW tank without harming the current residents?

My tank is ... 110 litre and contains.

- lots of Cherry shrimp and 50 or so baby cherries.
- 1 baby Twig catfish
- 2 whiptail catfish (1 quite young/small)
- 1 bamboo shrimp
- assassin snails and their babies
- 3 yamatos
- 3 bumblebee shrimp
- 2 adult guppies and 5 two month old guppy fry.
- 1 clam

I do have a small spare tank if needed, but i don't have a clue what steps to take! please help :D

It would be safer and easier to remove the berried female (the one carrying the eggs) and put her into her own tank where you can gradually add salts to the tank making it a brackish tank (sorry not sure how brackish it would ultimately need to be) since the young will most likely have some larval stages (unlike cherry shrimp that have fully formed young) you will need a sponge filter to stop any larva being sucked into a filter. I belive that for the larva you will most likely need green water. If you can not grow/ make green water than at a pinch brine shrimp food or similar partical foods that are meant for corals may work.

If the larva survive these early stages and they start looking like miniture shrimp then you might be able to gradually reduce the salinity in their tank and slowly get them used to fresh water.

has anyone got any clearer details on how to do this,also would you need a filter and heater ,thanks

Most reactions

Back