ya think fish can hear?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

wuvmybetta

Caw!!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
My betta who is in the community tank is an absolute dollface :wub: he has so many dog-like qualities in the way he behaves, I've had him for almost a year and he gets so excited when I talk to him,he's the only one I talk to besides my other betta in the little tank by himself,I'm just now getting to know that one if that makes sense, but anyway my 1st betta swims up to the glass every time I stop by to check out what's going on in the tank, no matter what he's doing, even if he's in the middle of stalking down a shrimp :lol: ....here comes Fishy ,fins slicked back and just wagging and soaking it up when I talk to him (I don't carry on conversations or anything, I just give him a "helloooooo Fishyyyyy, you being good in there?")
So do you think they can hear or feel voices? Seems like he does..... :nod:

The lateral line system... picks up vibration and relays it to the fishes 'ears' which are not visible because they are completely internal, having no external part to see. The lateral line system is the line that runs the length of your fishs' body (caudal peduncle - tail base- to the base of the head region -before the gills). Water carries sound slower but more effectively than air so your fish can pick up vibrations from your footsteps and voice as well as other factors... even from outside their room!! One to tell your mates down the pub :) ;)

I think i read somewhere that goldfish (and most other fish) can build up a picture in there minds of everything around them like a 3d map baced on the sounds they hear. and also that when they swim they make very little noise in terms of water movment cant remeber the details but they should be able to hear you if they understand you i dont know. who knows

Cool beans! I thought he heard me :lol:
Now I don't feel like such a weirdo for oozing baby-talk to my lil guys :wub:

Fish can "hear" (or feel might be closer to it). However, I seriously doubt he can understand what you are saying nor does he have the brain capacity to interpret your words. I think that they become familiar with you and come to trust that when he sees you, good things might happen (food, clean water, interaction, etc.). Probably, if someone kept always being hurtful to him, he'd hide and want to have nothing to do with that person. A few of the fish at work who have very little interaction with anyone (bowls are shoved between books or equipment so no one sees them) have no personality, don't even seem to know how to react to anyone, including other bettas. So, if you guy is happy to see you, you must be treating him right.

:lol: :wub: :wub: :lol: , I didn't figure he understood me but he clearly hears me, the funny think is I've even scolded him (not much just a " Hey stop that" ) when he's terrorizing somebody in there for no reason and now if I catch him in the act of stalking something he'll jet over to me and wag his whole body as if he's saying " but look how cute I am, you know you love me"

Now who could get upset at a cutie like that? :rolleyes: :wub:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

lol, i am planning on getting a betta but now i want to get it even more!!!
Great betta u have

Most reactions

Back