Wth Just Happened!?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Her filters working properly, the tank is covered, there may be some sort of air freshener used around the room her tanks in... I'm not sure on that though, I will check. As for when the last fish were added? About 2 weeks ago.

And the problem just started today? I'd say it's the food. :(

I told her to huck it out, so hopfully things will get better soon, the rainbow fish that has Ich is in a 5gallon iso tank and she's buying meds for it tonight.

Tests this morning were
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40-80
Ph 7.2
Alkalinity 80
Chlorine 0

Tests at 3:20pm, from the same sample of water (she took enough from her tank for about 20 tests into work.)
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 200
Ph 8.4
Alkalinity 80
Chlorine 0

I know that pH readings can change with different temperatures. I assume the tests done in the morning were at the temperature of the tank. If she took water to work and tested there then the water temperature had dropped to the ambient temperature of the room. This may have affected the pH readings but I am unsure if it would also affect the other parameter readings......could be a possibility though. :unsure:

I remember reading in the plant forum that nitrate kits go off quite quickly and they're only accurate within 6 months of being opened after which they can start giving weird results, so even if the kit is within its use by it may be no good. Has she added any sort of plant fertilizers to the tank? I used a cheap one once which caused a massive nitrite spike.

Does the tank have live plants?

Most reactions

Back