Would You Do This

Gill

Store Manager Coalville Aquatics
Joined
Feb 7, 2004
Messages
6,117
Reaction score
2
Points
36
Location
Derby
I had to euthanise a Female Danio this evening, She had Jumped out of the water and bashed her head in pretty badly and was bleeding. I was not happy as she is the last of the Leucistic Danio's I had(had found her in the same LFS that i bought them from as a return).

Seeing that she was Very Very Very Full Of Eggs I disected her with and fed the eggs to the Guppies and Fighters. Even now over an hour later they are all hunting in the gravel for the eggs they have missed.

My Male SB Is fanning the gravel and gulping down the eggs that rise.

Just wondering if others would have disected a eggy female, so not to waste to eggs.

PS - I am in no way squemish about these things.
 
no fraid i couldnt do that as i would be well.... sick doing so lol
 
I see sense in doing it, but personally couldnt (I have a problem with dead fish go figure) and so far havent had to euthanise but dread the day that I have to. Really sorry to had to euthanise her hon, hope it wasnt too traumatic x
 
Wasn't Traumatic to me, probably more so to others. Simply Caught her Crushed her head with a Spoon and then started to cut her open and shake out the eggs into the water.
 
I would have done it. I dissected a female mollie before as she was pregnant, and died. But ti was too late.
 
I would have done it. I dissected a female mollie before as she was pregnant, and died. But ti was too late.

I have done that with Guppies, thought they would make it but they did not.
 
i can see the method, but i just couldnt do it.

i also have an issue with dead fish, my other half has to get rid.

i also cant stand flapping fish, when the blighter jumped out of the tank (twice this month), i struggled to catch them as when they jump, so do i, and also let out a squeal to boot!!
 
I could see the thought behind it and I guess if I was ever in your situation I probably would have tried it. Not so much to not waste but more just something different to do.
 
I've given up on Danios. Stupid things jumpin' out :angry: And why not feed the whole fish back to the tank? ..after it's dead of course..
 
I don't think I would have thought to do that. She was not wasted. I don't think I would have cut her open. I would have put her down but to cut her open just to feed my fish some eggs would not be something I would want to do or even think to do. I don't see anything wrong with what you did and I'm sure your fish are happy you did it.
 
i think ill do that next time i have a dead pregneant fish, i would do it but i would have never though of it myself... i had to euthanize a betta once, it sucked, i liked that betta.
 
^^^ your last sentence just cracked me up lol. You put it so bluntly.

I forgot to add in my previous post that a couple times when I had smaller fish bail and found them within a few minutes, I fed them (the whole fish) to fish in other tanks. Never really been faced with dead fish with eggs in it though.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top