Would This Work?

recky

New Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2008
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
Points
0
100gallon tank with two aquaclear 110's sand substrate drift wood and some rocks no limestone or other rocks that make the water alkaline oh and 1 300 watt heater
Stocking:

1xfiremouth
1xBlue Acara
1xSeverum (if you could suggest a color varient that would be nice, but leaning toward torquise)
5x Sliver Dollars
3xClown Loaches
10 or so Buenos Aires Tetras

If this tank is over stocked or under stocked let me know please and the three cichlids, what gender would be best to keep of each? Female?

Any advice or suggestion would be appreaciated
 
Well I think you have plenty of filtration, but the heater may be a bit underpowered and you may see your temp having a hard time staying consistant. The general rule is 5 watts /gallon so you need 500 watts of power. Just get two 300 watt heaters and put at either end of the tank (thats what i did for my 125G and the temp stay a constant 77F).

I would go with females for aggression reasons but the three cichlid species you want arn't super aggressive to begin with so if you wanted to do a male sev and fm, that'd be fine. Woudl keep a female acara though.

If your only going to do 3 clowns then I would make sure you have plenty of plants and caves and such so they can feel more safe. preferably they prefer schools of 6 or more, but if there is plenty of cover, they should be fine.

I have no knoledge of the tetras however so can't advise on those, but if they don't get to atleast 4 inches, I would say no as they could become food one day for some of the big fish your going to have with them.

Ox :good:
 
Stocking looks ok but not really sure on the Buenos Airies Tetra, I tried keeping 5 fully grown fish with similar sized cichlids, but found they were very quickly picked off one by one.
IMO you can't really beat Giant Danios as dithers, but i realise they don't have the same appeal as some the species.

The only other thing i would change would to possibly go for 2 x 200 heaters instead of the 1 300w
 
100gallon tank with two aquaclear 110's sand substrate drift wood and some rocks no limestone or other rocks that make the water alkaline oh and 1 300 watt heater
Stocking:

1xfiremouth
1xBlue Acara
1xSeverum (if you could suggest a color varient that would be nice, but leaning toward torquise)
5x Sliver Dollars
3xClown Loaches
10 or so Buenos Aires Tetras

If this tank is over stocked or under stocked let me know please and the three cichlids, what gender would be best to keep of each? Female?

Any advice or suggestion would be appreaciated

dont get the tetras they will get eaten
 
Davo is right, Giant danios are great as dithers. I have 6 along with 6 sd's in with a mature male JD and 2 juve sevs and neither pays attention or even tries to catch the danios, they are way too fast

Ox :good:
 
Ok cool sounds good will go for the two heaters, the reason i said 3 loaches was because i wasnt sure if more would fit but i will get atleast 4 then. Although, my two in my 75 gal mentioned in sig are doing great and never hide, but that may be because they are the biggest fish in there at the moment, the RTBS is catching up. I will exclude the buenos aires tetras, ive heard good things about them but ohwell dont want them to die, I was recentley looking at Bosemani (forget how to spell) rainbows and saw they got fairly large i think 3.5-4" it was would you guys recomend them?

Thanks

Davo is right, Giant danios are great as dithers. I have 6 along with 6 sd's in with a mature male JD and 2 juve sevs and neither pays attention or even tries to catch the danios, they are way too fast

Ox :good:


As for the danios I have been tempted again and again to buy them but for some reason I just havnt brought um home yet, if the bosemani dont fit in Ill throw a shoal of the Giant danios in but their color just doesnt appeal to me all that much
 
Boesmani rainbows should also work but they do get to around the 6inch mark
 
Boesmani rainbows should also work but they do get to around the 6inch mark


oh six inch hmm ok how many would you recoment atleast 5?

Thank you guys so much been very helpfull :)
 
I have Rainbows with my Severums and they are very pretty and active. Maybe add 5-6, rather than 10, since they do get larger than the Tetras. There are dfferent types of Rainbows, some larger than others.

Male Sevs are more colorful.

I would add the Firemouth last as they are territorial little boogers !
 
I have Rainbows with my Severums and they are very pretty and active. Maybe add 5-6, rather than 10, since they do get larger than the Tetras. There are dfferent types of Rainbows, some larger than others.

Male Sevs are more colorful.

I would add the Firemouth last as they are territorial little boogers !


Ok thanks, great advice, one last thing though I forgot to mention in the beginning I wanted to get a pair of Red-striped Eartheaters. What do you say?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top