Would this be overtocking?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ThatFishGirl6231

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon planted tank. I have two platies, two mollies, and a snail. Do I have enough room for a dwarf gourami? If I got a dwarf gourami would it be overstocking? I read somewhere that live plants help oxegenate the water if it is overstocked so maybe I can? I dont know. Can someone please tell me?

Dwarf gouramis are often infected with an incurable disease by the time they arrive at the shop, another reason not to get one.
Ok thank you everyone. Does anyone have any other suggestions for centerpiece fish or should I just stick with my fish I already have?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but a 10 gallon tank with two platies and two mollies is overstocked - both fish need bigger tanks. Platies need a tank at least 24 inches long and mollies, which are big fish, need a tank at least 36 inches long.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but a 10 gallon tank with two platies and two mollies is overstocked - both fish need bigger tanks. Platies need a tank at least 24 inches long and mollies, which are big fish, need a tank at least 36 inches long.
They all seem pretty happy and healthy. What will I do with the babies once they grow up? I
I agree with @essjay, your tank in over populated already and give them some time and you will probably have fry to worry about too.
Ok. I already have two platy fry. What do I do with them? I don’t think I can get a bigger tank because I am young. I might try to convince my parents.

I would trade the adult fish at the local fish shop for a smaller fish more suitable to your tank size. And when the fry get bigger trade them for more of the small fish or plants. Depending on water but a tank full of one small kind of fish would be lovely. I've a 16 Gallon I'm hoping to put 20 male endlers in. They're small but active swimmers.

I have a fry tank now because my platys had 13 fry-12 survived to young adulthood. I am asking my friends and family if they want any, if not I will probably give them to my LFS. @AilyNC has a valid point you may want to trade them in for smaller fish. I have mostly small fish.

Thank you everyone for letting me know. I talked to my dad and he said I can get a 20 gallon around Christmas time. Dad said he’ll split the cost with me for my Christmas gift. For now they’re going to stay in the 10 gallon. Luckily they have live plants. And i think it will be fine for now as they are still not full sizs. They are kind of young. They will be upgraded soon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back