Would This Be Overstocked

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

phoenixgsd

Fish Herder
Reaction score
i have a flying fox who has suddenly started picking on my bronze corys,one in particular who now hides away from the group, its a 300L tank, i do have a 20L tank with a male fighter in, would it be possible to move the corys into the 20L? (i only have 4) will this be overstocked? the fighter used to be in the 300L but he ate my shrimp so he moved to the 20L, will he see this as his territory?

The fox has been with these corys for years why would he suddenly pick on them?

Is it a Flying Fox, or is it a CAE? They are often misidentified.

The simple answer to your question is yes, it will be, but it seems to me as though the only alternative is removing the FF. Which mightn't be a bad idea in the long term, if you move the cories, then it might just move the aggression onto another species instead.

deffo not a CAE when i first aquired it i posted on here asking if it was a fox or a false fox ect ect, as there was a debate between the two similar fishes,   i have seen them for sale at quite a few LFS all named the same.

i have had them over 16mths and they came from a shutting down tank where they all lived together for several years so s/hes quite an age now, i dont really want to part with him, hmmm where to put another tank without hubby noticing ?

phoenixgsd said:
i have a flying fox who has suddenly started picking on my bronze corys

nothing you do will stop this,

they can become very aggressive once they mature, chances are its going to get worse, he will most likely start latching right onto the sides of your fish and suck the slime and scales right off them

Mikey1 said:
i have a flying fox who has suddenly started picking on my bronze corys

they can become very aggressive once they mature, chances are its going to get worse, he will most likely start latching right onto the sides of your fish and suck the slime and scales right off them
+.1

Mikey1 said:

they can become very aggressive once they mature,
surely he matured a good 5 years ago,
confused.gif
   how long do they live?

ok well ive moved him to tank on his own and all i can say he seems stressed, hes been in his new tank for several days and hes still pale like they do when your trying to catch them, and just, well, depressed, dare i put some mid/top tank swimmers as he was only attacking bottom dwellers, yes or no? if its a possibility what do you suggest its quite a big tank and as he just sits on the bottom, the tank looks empty

i have harlequin rasboras in one tank could i put some in with him, if it dosnt work i can easily put them back

This is untrue, Flying Foxes dont do this at all, they arent interested in fish slime coat, its the chinese algae eaters that do this.

It will also depend if this is a Siamese Flying Fox or an Indo (true) Flying Fox (darker stripe, bronzy kind of line above the black and it has a flatter sucker kind of mouth than the Siamese do).

Flying foxes kept in the wrong conditions will also become thugs, they are a shoaling species and so when they do get boisterous, there 'boisterousness' is kept within the shoal. Unless of course it is the Indo Flying Fox, less tolerant of each other but more likely to bully.

They can easily live 10-15 years and get to a good 12-14cm for a big adult and need at least a 4ft tank to live in.

from the research i did when i got him i 'think' siamese flying fox, should i get more then?

well on my own head im getting another one or two for the tank, ive seen them for sale locally so hopefully he will start to act more happy and normal with more of his own kind

I hope so too.

These guys are outside my comfort zone.  Let us know how it works out.  :D

I really like the species :) like a lot of fish, they get a bad rep for being aggressive (like gold and opaline gouramis!) when really, they are the most docile fish ever and happy to just do their own thing, so long as the tank meets their requirements and they do need company and plenty of room.

That said, there will likely be some bolshy behaviours to sort out who is boss.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back