What's new

Would it be best to just euthanize her?

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

ThatFishGirl6231

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i have a female platy who for a while has kind of been hanging down on the bottom but she has always come up to eat and i’ve seen her swim around just turn so i just assumed she would rest. now she cannot get off the bottom. she won’t eat she won’t swim. she just lays on the bottom. she’s super lethargic too. she’s been gasping for air and stuff. should i just euthanize her? what method is the best way? i was thinking clove oil.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 47
I have heard clove oil is humane and simple, if you have any. I’ve heard you can also quickly bash them on the head with a rock:S

The rock thing is a bit violent wouldn't you think? That would be murder not euthanasia. IJS
It is the route many people choose to take, it is considered humane. I don’t know much about it and have never done it myself, just passing on what I have heard (though I agree it sounds disturbing)

It is the route many people choose to take, it is considered humane. I don’t know much about it and have never done it myself, just passing on what I have heard (though I agree it sounds disturbing)
First thing I thought about when I read about the rock thing was...people who kill small animals and buried them in their backyard. Lol!! I watch to much thriller shows.

A knock on the head IS a humane way to kill a fish if done correctly.Anglers carry a thing called a priest to issue the knock.I would even go as far as saying the use of clove oil is less humane,as I don’t like to put too much thought into it.That’s me though,who once upon a time killed what he caught for food.

Update: shes dead. i was about to go to the store and pick up some clove oil, but she was dead in the tank. its makes me feel a bit better that she died on her own rather than me killing her.

Sorry for your loss. I would totally support euthanizing a fish in that condition, though I've never been able to do it myself. If I did I'd definitely go the clove oil route.

The rock thing is a bit violent wouldn't you think? That would be murder not euthanasia. IJS
I remember once going to an animal college and they were demonstrating the biology of rainbow trout, so they put it to sleep in a solution and then smashed it on the head with a chunky stick, the weirdest I've ever felt tbh.
Update: shes dead. i was about to go to the store and pick up some clove oil, but she was dead in the tank. its makes me feel a bit better that she died on her own rather than me killing her.
Also, I wouldn't describe euthanasia as you killing the fish. If she was really struggling, which from the details she was, then it's potentially more humane so it doesn't suffer as much.

I'm sorry for your loss as well, its is the circle of life and part of the highs and lows of fish keeping

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back