Would A Gourami Be Happy In My Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

razorkai

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

I have a Juwel Rio 180 tank with an odd mix of fish due to survivors of various groups of fish I have had over the years. I just lost my last Bosemani rainbow who I had for almost 8 years.
Although I am tempted to get a new shoal of Bosemanis I have been wondering if I could get a Gourami of some sort now that they are gone. I still have some red rainbows but they are much more docile then the Bosemanis.
The tank is externally filtered and currently contains

3 red rainbowfish
1 bristlenose pleco
4 corys
3 platys
4 gold tetra
3 mollies
4 polka dot loach

Can anyone advise whether a Gourami would be happy in my tank? If so is there a type that I should go for? Maybe a dwarf gourami would be better, although I have read that they are quite aggressive.

Cheers

Hi

I have a Juwel Rio 180 tank with an odd mix of fish due to survivors of various groups of fish I have had over the years. I just lost my last Bosemani rainbow who I had for almost 8 years.
Although I am tempted to get a new shoal of Bosemanis I have been wondering if I could get a Gourami of some sort now that they are gone. I still have some red rainbows but they are much more docile then the Bosemanis.
The tank is externally filtered and currently contains

3 red rainbowfish
1 bristlenose pleco
4 corys
3 platys
4 gold tetra
3 mollies
4 polka dot loach

Can anyone advise whether a Gourami would be happy in my tank? If so is there a type that I should go for? Maybe a dwarf gourami would be better, although I have read that they are quite aggressive.

Cheers

Before adding any new fish, consider upping the ones you already have.
Add about maybe 3-5 more Red Rainbowfish.
Get at least 2 more cories, maybe even 3.
About 2 or more gold tetras.
And at least 2 more polka dot loaches.

Since the tank is then already at its climax, I suggest either one Dwarf Gourami, or if your looking for bigger ones, a single Pearl Gourami or a single Moonlight Gourami would be lovely. :good:

I dont think a gourami is good here. The rainbows are fast and nown for nipping. They get large too. As what Crossfire said, up theschools and leave it at that.

I have to agree with the rest, your tank is kinda full if you up the numbers of the other fish. A Dwarf could work but you should consider re homing some of the other fish if you don't want to bring their numbers up. Maybe re home the Rainbows & try a trio of Dwarf G's? They may or may not get along with your Mollies & Platys..........

Personally I'd move the Rainbows out a do a trio of Pearl Gouramis but I'm a big fan of those so my opinion will be very biased............. :lol:

Thanks for the responses. I'm not keen to up the numbers of anything other than maybe the corys. The gold tetras I took off a friend who no longer wanted them and to be honest I find them incredibly dull so I'm not keen to add more.
The loaches I'm not fond off as they killed all of my zebra loach which I really loved. I would re-home them but catching them would be tricky without taking the tank apart which i really don't want to do.
I love the corys and the rainbowfish whilst the platys and mollies are fairly new addititions. The rainbows are quite big now and I don't think they will get any bigger. They seem quite happy and actually used to shoal with the bosemanis.
Maybe I'll have to add some more rainbowfish, which is a shame as I fancied a change without losing what I have already.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back