Would a 30 gallon small pond be fine for gold fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
And no water changes etc. I do nothing for mine apart from topping up the water when needed.
The fish provide fertiliser for the plants, the plants provide shade and homes for the fish.
Any algae (and you should get some) will feed the fish and tadpoles.
The fish also take care of any mosquito larvae, but if the fish have been breeding a lot I throw a small pinch of fish food in now and then.
The frogs and winter will usually take care of any over breeding.
The only negative is that it will get diving beetles in there at some point. They and their larvae will catch any slow fry and some of the tadpoles.
But it's all nature!!
This all works with small Aus native fish, gold fish are a different story.

If you have it in full sun in summer it will grow a lot of algae. A lot. I shade mine with some palm leaves
I have elephant ear, water reeds and bacopa. The bacopa is important (or some other floating plants) for shade and somewhere for the fish to hide. The water reeds took off straight away and keep growing. If your local Bunnings has a pond section, ask them, they're usually a pretty good help.
This is one of mine a couple of months ago. Bit messy then but you get the idea

.View attachment 306907
Yeah Iā€™ll put it in the shade this time and Iā€™m probably gonna chuck some pothos in the pond and Iā€™ll use frogbit as a floating plant an Iā€™ll just use a plastic black tub and a Bunnings pump filter and do you now what fish I should put in that I wonā€™t have to do maintenance for like a specific rainbow fish.

OkayAnd no water changes etc. I do nothing for mine apart from topping up the water when needed.
The fish provide fertiliser for the plants, the plants provide shade and homes for the fish.
The fish also take care of any mosquito larvae, but if the fish have been breeding a lot I throw a small pinch of fish food in now and then.
The only negative is that it will get diving beetles in there at some point. They and their larvae will catch any slow fry and some of the tadpoles.
But it's all nature!!
ok Iā€™ll have a look at some Australia native fish do you have any recommendations on what fish and and Iā€™m just going to put the pond on some concrete but it will be in the shade

Probably gonna chuck some rainbow fish in ther native to Australia

And no water changes etc. I do nothing for mine apart from topping up the water when needed.
But it's all nature!!
Yeah so itā€™s only going to be a 25 gal what rainbow fish would you recommend and what plants do you use for your ponds Iā€™ll go ask some people at Bunnings and should I use some gravel because I have some do air gravel I can just wash of.

With fish just go with what you can get. And plants the same, as I said I have bacopa, water reeds and elephant ears but just go with what looks good to you.
You don't need any pump unless you are doing a waterfall. The pond does not need to be filtered, the plants will use the fish waste and the fish will nibble any algae.
If it's on concrete, you can surround it with rocks and pot plants to make it look more natural.
Ribbon grass is good for that as it puts out runners with new plants. And you can prob pick some up around your neighbourhood for free!
You can put the gravel and any sand you have spare, if you get bombproof plants they'll do fine

With fish just go with what you can get. And plants the same, as I said I have bacopa, water reeds and elephant ears but just go with what looks good to you.
You don't need any pump unless you are doing a waterfall. The pond does not need to be filtered, the plants will use the fish waste and the fish will nibble any algae.
If it's on concrete, you can surround it with rocks and pot plants to make it look more natural.
Ribbon grass is good for that as it puts out runners with new plants. And you can prob pick some up around your neighbourhood for free!
You can put the gravel and any sand you have spare, if you get bombproof plants they'll do fine

Yep I have a spair pump anyway so Iā€™ll use that and this is the pond I used before but it grew lots of algae because of sunlight and i had barley any plants it so Iā€™ll put it on concrete and put lots plants in the pond to make it look nice and the fish Iā€™ll probably use is boesemane rainbow fish hopefully 25 gallons is big enough for them.

Attachments

• 608A7789-34BB-438A-B046-AD9B8B92F49C.jpeg
    608A7789-34BB-438A-B046-AD9B8B92F49C.jpeg
    595.1 KB · Views: 8

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back