wot kind??

nick.w

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi, i jst got a albino senegalus bichir although hes yellow and was wondering wot kinda odballs can i keep with him that arnt to ugly lol hes in a 30

It all depends on what you call ugly and what kind of fish you want, a 30 doesnt leave you with a endless ammount of options but there are pleanty of fish that could fit into a tank that size with your bichir, there are many species of sleaper goby that would be suitable and some of the medium sized surface dwellers like african butterfly fish would work. The main point to remember is that whatever you choose must always be too large for the bichir to swallow or it may become food.

ok i may put some angels in im not sure maybe a butterfly fish but they are hard to feed. At the moment i have a rainbow shark in there and hes agressive towards most fish and does go for the bichir, how delicate are they??

The bichir will be fine though i cant say how long the shark will live for if it continues to harrass the bichir, bichirs are very fast growing where as sharks are very slow and once the bichir is bigger than the shark it may turn around and grab it by the head.
IMO a 30g is not big enough for angel fish which require a tank of at least 18" tall.

the bichir dose not seem agressive, does he have teeth. Ill try to move the shark. Ive kept angels in a 30 gal and they are just fine and always bin told they are ok in that size tank but ive never had them for over a year so im not sure if they grew ful size. What do u feed ur bichirs?

When small bichirs can be fed frozen bloodworms and small pieces of shrimp and fish, a 4" bichir will eat a whole single cube of frozen bloodworm to its self. Once they get over 8" they can be given whole silver sides and larger frozen foods like mussels and cockles. Bichirs dont have teeth but have strong jaws which can grip on tightly to prey while they turn them to a head first position so they can be swallowed. Angels when full grown can be 10" from tip to tip across the fins so a 15" tall tank doesnt offer much room to them.

could i trust a humback puffer with him?? aparently they are the lest vicous and only grow to 8inches

i had a butterfly fish with my bichir and it killed the butterfly fish the bichir was only like 4.75 inchs long. it also killed all of my angles. i would keep the bichir with nothing else. i mean this is my opinon but in the long run you will be wasting your money
~Boggnials

o well im not sure how long my bichir is but he has not shown any agression to my fish so we wil see

Ive never heard of a bichir killing any fish it couldnt eat, but as with all things there are exceptions. My bichirs have lived with many other fish and ive never had any problems with aggression from the bichirs.

I dont know about the puffer, personally i would say no as IMO puffers should only be kept in species tanks but the combination may work for you.

nah probably wnt jst a suggestion. Infact by bichir is a big girl he jst hides in the plants at the back and never comes out, i fed him some prawns this morning and i dnt think he touched them. Wil this b a prblem?

Boggnials said:
i had a butterfly fish with my bichir and it killed the butterfly fish the bichir was only like 4.75 inchs long. it also killed all of my angles. i would keep the bichir with nothing else. i mean this is my opinon but in the long run you will be wasting your money
~Boggnials
All fish have personalities. I tihnk urs had a nasty attitude. I agree with CFC, Angels need a larger tank. What about a badis badis? Or a large NW Cichlid :thumbs:

i dnt no wot a badis badis, i have a young firemouth in there how i will move very soon or could he stay there as u suggested a Nw cichlid he has no aggressive from what i no so far

Most reactions

Back