World record Blue catfish.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I read one thing where an ich...ologist (have no idea how to spell it - person who studies fish) said that because the fish was very old and the stress of just being caught, it probably would not have survived even if they had released it immediately after catching it. I'm sure the fight took a lot out of it.

rdd1952 said:
I read one thing where an ich...ologist (have no idea how to spell it - person who studies fish) said that because the fish was very old and the stress of just being caught, it probably would not have survived even if they had released it immediately after catching it. I'm sure the fight took a lot out of it.
Probably....But it would of had a way better chance than being shipped...Basically the people wanted it on display so they could rake in some extra $. Guppler mentioned stories of catfish eating people...We'll this twisted side of me kinda hopes this one got one or two fishermen before he went down :shifty:

Erised said:
bloozoo2 said:
Is their life expectancy 32 years ?
Age and Growth
Blue catfish grow faster and live longer than channel catfish. They are the largest member of the catfish family. Blues may grow to lengths of over 55 inches and may weigh more than 100 pounds. Maximum lifespan for blues is unknown but is probably 20-25 years.
source: ESPN
Thanks for that info.

--edit--
Not gonna state my opinion here :) It wouldn't be appreciated.
But you should though. You can't only have an opinion if you want only people to agree with you :p

digital_run said:
Probably....But it would of had a way better chance than being shipped...Basically the people wanted it on display so they could rake in some extra $. Guppler mentioned stories of catfish eating people...We'll this twisted side of me kinda hopes this one got one or two fishermen before he went down :shifty:
You're absolutely correct. When I first heard the story, I was actually surprised that they had been able to keep it alive as long as they had. Usually a fish like that is dead shortly after it comes out of the water but catfish are probably the exception. They can last quite a while out of water which he obviously was. It's not like they had a live well in the boat they could put it in till they got it ashore. That would be a BIG live well. As far as a catfish eating people, I doubt that. They're not big enough unless it was a small child.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back