Wood Hood

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

johnnyjtaylor

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I need to make a new hood to stuff more lights in(T5 flouresants) than the silly bulky light fitting I have at the moment will allow!!
Well I say hood , its a juwel tank with plastic edges at the top that give you about 3" vertically to play with and so the hood would be more of a board in two halves hinged and lights bolted to the underside!
My choice of material would be ply(mainly because I have some kicking around) but the combination of salty dampness and plywood would surely not be a good one.
So.... Does anyone know of something suitable to paint/treat ply with that would salt water tank proof it and not kill the things of the tank with toxic drippings?? Or.... should I give up on the plywood idea and go for some other material????(if so what? :unsure: )

edit: I do know how to spell fluorescent properly honest guv :blink:

I would say use marine grade paints or vanish. The types used for boats etc. A bit pricey but you'll only need a small tin. You'll have no issue with dampness or salt creep then. Give it a good two or three coats then few days away from the tank to dry properly and you should be ok.

as above, but the trick is to apply several very thin coats. don't aim for two or three. do a full seven thin coats. It will last pretty much forever. The same applies to varnishing any wood exposed to water and heat.

Agreed. I varnished my hood 4 times and then sealed it in marine epoxy... Not goin anywhere ;)

Not sure what to get that would be safe after reading many VOC warnings on cans of varnish :no:
Can anyone give me a brand name of something they have used?

cheers Johnny

Its only volatile while its still wet. Once dry, varnish is safe. Be aware that the varnish will take at least 24 if not 48 :)

Most reactions

Back