Wood For A Freshwater Aquarium?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

fergiesek

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi!

I've just taken out a piece of bogwood from my freshwater tropical tank as the water was starting to resemble tea!

Can anyone recommend a type of decorative wood that won't stain the water?

And can you recommend any good websites for wood or stones? Or shops near East Kilbride/Glasgow that have good decoration?

Many thanks

If you boil the bogwood, then this will help get rid of the tannins, which are causing your water to look tea coloured. Tannins are harmless and the filter will eventually rid the water of these, just takes time.
Another alternative would be driftwood or you can get some great fake looking wood nowadays that look quite natural.

any wood that is in the water will release some tannins. Tannins naturally occur in all plants. Some have more than others but they all have some.

As mentioned above boiling can help. I usually put mine in a bucket of water outside and change the water each day. Adding salt or sodium bicarb is meant to help leach the stuff out of the wood.

Most people just live with it and over time the wood usually stops making your tank look like a cuppa.

It's actually good at inhibiting bacteria and can be used to encourage black water fishes to spawn.

Most reactions

Back