Woo Hoo New Fish!

stucolls

Fishaholic
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
586
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Torquay, Devon, England
Hey guys, finally managed to spare some cash for some new fish today!!

Bought a little bn plec who is stunning!! 3 more orange platy's and a sexy bamboo shrimp!!!

So now I have as follows:
1 Albino Cory
1 Peppered Cory
4 otto's
1 BN plec
1 Albino Krib
5 Gold barbs
4 Adult platy and 3 juves
and Mr Miagi the shrimp!!

anyone with any experience of the shrimps have any warnings etc for me as I have never had them before??
 
Like with all other shrimp, they are really sensitive to copper and some other medications so be careful when treating the tank as you can easily poison them.

Also make sure you have plenty of hiding places in the tank as the shrimp will molt approx every 4-6weeks, when this happens the shrimp is quite fragile until its new shell hardens.
 
why does a shrimp need to malt? does it grow out of its shell or something
 
just to go off subject, do you think I could have a say 3, silver sharks in with current stock?? I dont know much about them but I did have a RTBS in there until recently and he did ok??
 
Watch that your krib doesn't eat your shrimp.

My female bettas wiped out £30 worth of shrimp in 24hrs and I was told they could go with small community fish, which they are.

So be careful just in case.
 
I have 2 bamboo shrimp in my tank, though I only ever see one at a time generally, and even then its usually just a sneak peek. Anyhow, Bamboo shrimp are filter feeders, meaning they like a little bit of a current so they can filter particles of food ouf of the water. They will eat off the gravel though. I sometimes see one of mine clinging onto a branch which is in the down current created by my spray bar :) Fascinating to watch.

Also, if they turn a nice dark red colour they are feeling pretty content and have plenty of food. If they are pale they are ok, just maybe not as content. This is advice I was given when I first got mine :)
 
just to go off subject, do you think I could have a say 3, silver sharks in with current stock?? I dont know much about them but I did have a RTBS in there until recently and he did ok??

You will need a tank size of around a 6x2x2 to house 3 silver sharks for their entire lives, They can grow to 13" and can be very nervous.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top