Wills New Cube-40l

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fiskkeeperpro

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok, i started my tank yesterday and have already recieved some advice so im very grateful.

Firstly, the details:

tank- 13x13x16 (LxWxH) which equates to about 40l
2x internal 200lph filters, as the tank is looking cluttered, i think im going to remove the smallest one to have more focus on the tank itself.
Eco-complete substrate
Im not sure how much i'll dose ferts as i dont know. I make my own tpn+ so i think ill dose that every week along with easy carbo and ProFito.
co2 injection will be via a nutrafin fermentation set.

the lighting is by 1 18 watt pl tube from a superfish light. Im thinking on buying another light but there are no cheap good quality ones on ebay and im strapped for cash (im 15 lol)

the planned stocking is going to be:

10x galaxy/emerald eye micro rasboras
6-8x corys (i might egt pygmy corys if i can get my lfs to source them)
cherry shrimp, im not sure where to get these yet, ill probably get some off the member son here if there are any for sale.

Right, now for some pics.

the dry aquascape:

DSC00127.jpg

with some water and basic plants although most of these plants will probably be removed when i buy the plants that i like (hopefully today)

DSC00128Medium.jpg

Can you see what i mean about being cluttered? the nutrafin ladder isnt working either so when i buy plants off AE ill buy a new diffuser that is smaller aswell so its less noticable.

From Aqua Essentials i ordered 2 pots of:

Tropica rotola sp. green
anubias barteri var. nana
riccia fluitans

They are all Tropica plants, so they should be arriving soon and I can get the planting underway! :hyper:

Please comment :)

Will

hard scape is looking good but if it was me i would move the rock pile infront of the wood.

those superfish lamps are good for nano tanks, george farmer uses them.

Your diffuser might not be working yet..it takes a few days for the nutrafin ladder to build up the slime that helps the bubbles travel up the ladder rather than getting stuck.

Can't wait to see this tank develop!

Your diffuser might not be working yet..it takes a few days for the nutrafin ladder to build up the slime that helps the bubbles travel up the ladder rather than getting stuck.

Can't wait to see this tank develop!

Well i got a more efficient diffuser so it doesnt matter too much.

The pla nts will hopefully arrive on thursday or friday so i was thinking about getting 10 galaxy rasboras at the weekend? In the filters currently is jsut floss to sparkle uo the water, the main filter emdia has been running in my established tank downstairs for about 1.5 weeks now, if it safe to use that with 10 fish straight away? i can add some 2 year old media if i have to :good:

thanks

Will

I jsut got a call from AE saying rotala isnt in stock, can anyone reccommend another plant that would be good under the lgihting i have within like 20 mins please?

cheers

Will

Right, my plants arrived today so i did a little bt of planing :D
There was a slight change, in the way that AE didnt have any stock of the Rotala sp green, so i got Bacopa Australis instead. I'm thinking about maybe getting some galaxy rasboras at the weekend as i have mature filter media and id like some fish in there, sound ok? Im not entirely sure on the planting, does everything look to be ok?

Here are some pics of the innitial planting, please give me any useful comments on how to improve.

Full tank
DSC00132Medium.jpg

Bacopa Australis
DSC00135Medium.jpg

Riccia
DSC00136Medium.jpg

The anubias nana
DSC00137Medium.jpg

Please comment :D

Thanks Will

I've now become concerned at the filtration. Ive got 2 internals at 200lph which gives me approx 10x flow. However, on the wood, ive started to get like a cloudy mist on it, i think this is co2? one filter gives surface agitation and the other is the other side of the tank, have i got them positioned right? and how do i get rid of this 'mist'?

cheers

Time for an update :D

Ive left the tank on its own since planting with the exception of changing the riccia and just double dosed easy carbo, profito and my diy nutrients along with adding co2.

Here is the growth so far:

DSC00143Medium.jpg

DSC00142Medium.jpg

A bud on the Anubias?

DSC00141Medium.jpg

The riccia covered in a hairnet and strapped down using cotton, it looks rubbish now, i was following Jimboo's guide so hopefully it will grow :?

DSC00139Medium.jpg

And the bacopa, this has shown the most growth i think

Im not sure if 1.8wpg is enough, im thinking about buying another lamp like i have to make it 3.6wpg, is this too much on a small tank? I just would like good growth but I dont feel im getting that at the moment.

Cheers for looking

I've now become concerned at the filtration. Ive got 2 internals at 200lph which gives me approx 10x flow. However, on the wood, ive started to get like a cloudy mist on it, i think this is co2? one filter gives surface agitation and the other is the other side of the tank, have i got them positioned right? and how do i get rid of this 'mist'?

cheers

If the "mist" on the wood is more than likely fungus which is carried within the dry wood. Dunking the wood in water activates the fungus to grow. Don't worry, it's totally harmless and tends to occur on lots of bogwoods (certainly happened to one of mine) my Bristlenose Plecs and Amanos love to nibble at it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back