Will Yellow Lab's Fit Well With...

twin54

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 23, 2009
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Montreal,Quebec, Canada
Hey all...Not too long ago I posted that I was the happy owner fo a new 20 gal tank! Well things are going from good to AMAZING! I have been given the opportunity to get a free 53 gallon tank with everything. Tank, stand etc etc! The owners are moving out of country and cannot take the tank with them and there attempts to sell it failed. They were at the LFS I go to donating back all there fish :( We got to chatting up as I was curious why they were trading in all these amazing fish and one thing lead to another!

I went over to there place and brought my trusty api test kit to test the water... amonia 0 nitrite 0 Nitrate :S OFF the scale :( I talked to them and found out all they did was top the tank off as the water evaporated....it's a miracle there fish lived! So the tank is cycled for the most part but I will remove aprox 80% of the water when moving it...and I guess will wait about a week or 2 before adding any fish to it after that incase it re-cycles!

My question is will 1 M 2F yellow lab's go well with the rest of what I had in mind? if not any other vibrant tank mates for the following that might fit well?

African lampeye
Ember tetra
Neon tetra
Harlequin Rasboa
Rummynose Tetra
Glass Catfish
 
Hey all...Not too long ago I posted that I was the happy owner fo a new 20 gal tank! Well things are going from good to AMAZING! I have been given the opportunity to get a free 53 gallon tank with everything. Tank, stand etc etc! The owners are moving out of country and cannot take the tank with them and there attempts to sell it failed. They were at the LFS I go to donating back all there fish :( We got to chatting up as I was curious why they were trading in all these amazing fish and one thing lead to another!

I went over to there place and brought my trusty api test kit to test the water... amonia 0 nitrite 0 Nitrate :S OFF the scale :( I talked to them and found out all they did was top the tank off as the water evaporated....it's a miracle there fish lived! So the tank is cycled for the most part but I will remove aprox 80% of the water when moving it...and I guess will wait about a week or 2 before adding any fish to it after that incase it re-cycles!

My question is will 1 M 2F yellow lab's go well with the rest of what I had in mind? if not any other vibrant tank mates for the following that might fit well?

African lampeye
Ember tetra
Neon tetra
Harlequin Rasboa
Rummynose Tetra
Glass Catfish

i would only keep labs with fish that come from the same lake

i found out the hard way
 
Even though yellow labs are one of the least aggressive cichlids, I would still not mix them in with other fish.

Especially the neon tetras, I would think that they would be bullied a lot by the yellow labs.

Also, a 20 gallon tank would be too small for 3 labs, especially with the other fish you all ready have. A 30 gallon tank is the minimum you would want for African lake Cichlids.

Also, when transporting a tank, do not have any water or substrate in there. Tanks are designed to by stable in a non-moving position. When they are being carried with water in them; that creates unequal pressure on the surfaces/seals which could lead to future leaks, and/or catastrophic failure.

When transporting a tank, empty all the water, substrate, decor, etc... out, bag the fish like your LFS does, and then transfer the tank.

-FHM
 
gold balloon rams look good as do german blue rams and a pair would fit
or maybe some honey gouramis - bright yellow
 
I shoudl have been more specific >.< This is my potential setup for the new 50gal tank that I will be getting...Not sure exactly how many gals it is the tank is a wierd shape and since its a second hand giveaway to myself I guess I will only know when I fill it up >.<! The current owners didnt seem to know much abotu the tank other than it was on special, looked good and they bought it :(

Thanks for the heads up on the labs saw em at the LFS and my jaw droped that thoes were fresh water fish SO BEUTIFULL! However I really love tetras as you can see :P Thanks as well for the gouramie sugestion hadnt thought of that!

More sugestions are extreemly welcome as this is very new and exciting to me to have a tank of that size ...the largest one I ever had was my current 20 gal before that was just thoes 5-10 gal eclips systems!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top