Will this harm nitrifying bacteria?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LyraGuppi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've got a spare sponge filter in my 90gal that I'll need to borrow for my 20gal. The water I use in the 90 gallon is 6.6 pH, and around 35 ppm hardness. The water from my 20gal is at or over 8.0 (I've got a high range pH test coming, but the normal range has always shown 8), and somewhere at or over 140 ppm hardness (I tested it a while back, 140 was the highest number the test could offer. I'm guessing it's at least close).
Will the sudden change in water parameters shock the bacteria, or will it be okay?

Chances are, the bacteria will be fine. They are pretty resilient and can withstand quite a lot.

Its really only when the bacteria gets really cold or really hot fluctuation that there will likely be die offs.

I'll be honest and have never actually considered if ph or water hardness would affect them but something tells me they will adapt pretty quickly and unlikely you will lose all the bacteria, even if you have some bacteria loss, they will build up the numbers back to strength again pretty quickly.

Interesting question really.

The other factor that will have a effect is if theres no food for bacteria that they will die, but even then it will take a while for this to happen. If no food is present after x amount of time, some may die off but some will simply go dormant, like hibernation, and will awaken again once a food supply is present again. The longer they are dormant, the longer it will take for them to get back to strength.

Thats pretty much the limit of my knowledge on these bacterias, hope its helps at least a little bit anyway.

Am wondering why there is such a difference in your tank parameter numbers between the 90 and the 20. Do you have more wood, plants or stones in one tank than the other, or perhaps using a different source of water between each tank? Just being curious. (am pretty nosey really :p)

That definitely does help, thank you! I don't mind if there's a little die off, I'll only need the filter for a week at most. (Using the original filters to cycle a new tank)

I use rainwater in my 90gal, and well water in my 20gal. I'm not sure what's in the well that makes it so alkaline/hard, but I'm guessing it's the high amount of limestone that we have in my area. Not to mention, the 90 has heaps of driftwood, and the 20 has shells, so that might be part of it q:

I use rainwater in my 90gal, and well water in my 20gal. I'm not sure what's in the well that makes it so alkaline/hard, but I'm guessing it's the high amount of limestone that we have in my area. Not to mention, the 90 has heaps of driftwood, and the 20 has shells, so that might be part of it q:

That most definitely explains the differences between the two tanks.

Kinda cool set ups actually, means you can have a diverse choice of stocking of your choosing really. of course keeping an eye on parameters to be sure its all nice and stable between your tanks.

Methinks am a little jealous now....... :lol:

The biggest downside (besides droughts) is having to carry 20-25 gallons of rainwater up a hill, from the drum it collects in to the house. Other than that, it is pretty useful!

Wow, hard work carrying 25 litres of water up a incline. Am tired just thinking about it :lol:

Perhaps the use of a decent universal pump may be helpful, a long extension cord and a universal pump in the drum then through up a hose to your house may make life a little easier perhaps.

I use rainwater in my 90gal, and well water in my 20gal. I'm not sure what's in the well that makes it so alkaline/hard, but I'm guessing it's the high amount of limestone that we have in my area.

The high alkaline number is probably caused by potassium and sodium. They can have a much greater effect on PH than calcium and magnesium. they are probably mixed in with the limestone.

Perhaps the use of a decent universal pump may be helpful, a long extension cord and a universal pump in the drum then through up a hose to your house may make life a little easier perhaps.
Definitely. It's good exercise, though.

The high alkaline number is probably caused by potassium and sodium. They can have a much greater effect on PH than calcium and magnesium. they are probably mixed in with the limestone.

Is that harmful? Should I be working on changing any of that?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back