Will This Do To Get Me Started?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

adam98150

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Ive been thinking about it for some time, having a planted aquarium. Ive done research and have even picked up a few things, but now i have the money i can actually create my own planted tank. Will these things do to get me started on a heavily planted thriving aquarium?

Got:-
Tank size: 15g, 24" long.
Filter: Internal, 800lph
Heater: 25c

Getting:-
Lighting: Interpet daylight plus, 18" Arcadia Freshwater, 18". (Reflector)
Fert(s): TetraPlant PlantaMin TetraPlant Crypto Plant Root Fertiliser Tablets
Substrate: Small gravel (3-5mm), 2-2 1/2" deep

Is their anything i could add to this list? Also im going to have no CO2, im trying this before it gets expensive. (Also, ill start one of them diary things what people do when the things arrive.)

Cheers, Adam.

What is the wattage of each lamp? The watts per gallon will determine whether you will need to add CO2 or not.

If your tank is 15USG (which doesn`t seem a lot for a 24in tank) then you have 2WPG. This much light will almost certainly invite problems with algae. To keep the tank low tech, if this is your wish, you could try using just one of the lights and keeping plants suited to these levels.

Could you double check the capacity of your tank, as I think 24in tanks are generally around the 30USG mark.

Thats 36" mate. (30g)
Mines def a 15g. (18us, 15uk). So what about the ferts? Please stop talking about CO2. Ill attempt this first, with alot of fast, stem growing plants.

You are now at 1.67WPG. To be honest with you, I am not sure where this light level leaves you regarding algae problems and no CO2. I am pretty new to planted tanks myself, although I have done tons of reading. More experienced people will come along and read this thread. Hopefully they will be able to tell you (and me) if there is a light level at which point CO2 is a must, and one that you can, therefore, avoid.

As for as starter units go, it is better to match the rating of the lamp with the starter. Plus, if you are using two similar lamps, buy a twin starter as this will work out cheaper than buying two separate ones.

Good news, I thought 2WPG was the general rule, but wasn`t sure. Any ideas on what plants you are getting, and how many?

I use the powdered ferts from AquaEssentials so can only comment on these. I have read that if you keep Amazon Swords they like root tablets.

Good, yeah if you go above 2wpg CO2 is a must have. Im going to go heavily planted starting out with the larger faster going plants to outcompete any algea. Any suggestions?

Also is this the right daylight tube, not purple/pink in colour is it? I want it to be bright white in colour. http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalogue...scent-tubes.asp

Cheers, Adam.

I use an Interpet Daylight for colour enhancement (glows bluish/white) and their Triplus (glows pinkish) for plant growth.

Fast growing plants that are easy to maintain are Hygrophilia sp., Vallis sp., Egeria Densa, Ludwigia sp. I was recommended this list with 75% substrate coverage by George farmer and am happy to pass it on, as it worked for me.

So is that your combination for growing plants them two bulbs? Is the daylight plus any good for growing plants? Or just colour enhancement.

The Triplus is the primary plant grower and the Daylight brings out he colour of the fish, but I figured that having the two types would broaden the light spectrum. Nothing particularly scientific, but I just thought a broader spectrum can only be a good thing for growing plants. The results are certainly good. I dare say that most of the mainstream lamps will be good enough for what our tanks require.

Ive ordered all of the stuff in my 'Getting' list. :) We'll have to see how it turns out. Ill post when my things arrive, possibly with questions.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back