Will This Be A Problem? (pic.)

kris6458

New Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2009
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Dallas, Texas
So bought this 55 gallon fish tank off craigslist yesterday for only $20 bucks. Only downside is looks like a piece of the top is missing, I was thinking it was the cross bar that holds the tank cover/lights. Not sure though since the pieces missing dont really look symmetrical. Will this cause any problem to the structure of the fish tank holding water? I dont think so, but wanted a for sure answer. Wanted to know if I should worry about it and try to fix, or not worry.

tank.jpg
 
I dont think you have anything to worry about, stucture wise it shouldn't effect it. It also shouldn't effect any hoods you are looking to place on it either. My reasoning is that the plastic surrounding the top isnt fully broken or anything but if you want to be safe I would fill it up outside and make sure the tank can hold itself when full.
 
So bought this 55 gallon fish tank off craigslist yesterday for only $20 bucks. Only downside is looks like a piece of the top is missing, I was thinking it was the cross bar that holds the tank cover/lights.

My tank of similar capacity has a bar across it. Personally I would get a strip of glass and silicone a replacement bit on it. Just in case. Like I say that's just my personal opinion. Better safe then sorry.
 
The guy I bought it from had water in it, so theres no leaking. Im just worried about over time.
 
There were discussions elsewhere on hot melt gun glue which was ruled out and superglue was ruled in, so hoping that should be good for you
 
Any idea of a good silicone name? Im going to look at home depot tonight, guess I could always ask them.

Not sure if the tank is glass or acrylic, thought it was glass but the tank is light for its size so was thinking acrylic. LOL
 
When the brace on my old 55gal broke we got a flat piece of metal, it was about 1-2" wide and 1/4" thick. We bent it into this shape - [ and put it on the tank where the brace bar was suppose to be

Any idea of a good silicone name? Im going to look at home depot tonight, guess I could always ask them.

Not sure if the tank is glass or acrylic, thought it was glass but the tank is light for its size so was thinking acrylic. LOL

Menard's carries some, its called Household Adhesive sealant. By DAP and says aquarium safe on the package.
 
Any idea of a good silicone name? Im going to look at home depot tonight, guess I could always ask them.

Not sure if the tank is glass or acrylic, thought it was glass but the tank is light for its size so was thinking acrylic. LOL

Any glass will do but I would only go with proper aquarium silicon. Then your sure it won't contaminate the water with toxins. If it doesn't say aquarium safe I would stay well clear.

Tap the tank and compare the sound with your house windows. Should be easy to tell if it's glass. If it's a used plastic tank, there's likely to be scratches on it. Also I've never seen a plastic tank which was made up of flat planes, they have always been 1 piece items. From your photo it looks like planes stuck together with silicon. Is it?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top