Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So far I like the idea of

1 Percula Clown
1 Green Chromis
1 Banggai Cardinal
1 Domino Damselfish
1 Royal Gamma

Any comments about these, any suggestions of what to get instead, 5 fish too many? Compatibility etc
All comments help!

Being totally new to saltwater aquariums myself, I may be totally off on this..but as far as I know, the domino damsel might be a bit of a problem, since they grow into very aggressive adults. Also, I hear that they start looking ugly as adults too, as their white domino spots fade over time. Also, I was never a fan of the Chromis. They seem like such boring fish :angry: Just one solid color, no patterns or variation or anything.

I am thinkin of something similar to what you have for my 29 gallon though

1 Percula Clown
1 Banggai Cardinal (read a post somewhere where Seffie says she hates these little guys. I think they are gorgeous little fish :fun: )
1 Royal Gramma
1 Firefish

On a side note, of the fish listed by both myself and ahoy, which of these are safe to keep in pairs ? I would ideally like to keep pairs of fish instead of single ones.

5 fish for a 18 gallon may be a bit much though, although I'm not totally sure on that...

Thanks for the advice, I do think 5 is too much I'm still deciding on what to add but will probably cut out the domino damselfish and the lfs I go to doesn't stock (from what I've seen so far) Chromis. So probably the clown, gamma and cardinal. Maybe one of those pyjama fish I forgot their names but they're quite small!

Yeah 5 is probably too much. You have an odd shaped tank as well which restricts territory in the tank a fair bit.

I would go for maybe:
1 Perc Clown (or a pair).
1 firefish (love these fish).
1 Royal gramma (mine is really aggresive but most people report them as very peaceful).
1 clown goby (or other smaller goby that wont get in the way of the other fish too often).

These should all get on ok.

I would avoid the damsels and chromis as they are fairly aggressive.

Yeah 5 is probably too much. You have an odd shaped tank as well which restricts territory in the tank a fair bit.

I would go for maybe:
1 Perc Clown (or a pair).
1 firefish (love these fish).
1 Royal gramma (mine is really aggresive but most people report them as very peaceful).
1 clown goby (or other smaller goby that wont get in the way of the other fish too often).

These should all get on ok.

I would avoid the damsels and chromis as they are fairly aggressive.

Thanks for the tip, a question about firefish though, are there different types/colours you can get as I've seen similar looking fish in my lfs that had purple on them. Thanks!

Yeah there are a few firefish you can get. the most common being red and purple ones. There are others as well but I have never seen them for sale.

I'm almost ready to get my first fish for my nano but could I have some suggestions of some pretty ones!

It's an 18 gallon tank, cuc going in tomorrow.

So far I like the idea of

1 Percula Clown yes
1 Green Chromis yes, but boring!
1 Banggai Cardinal yes but boring!
1 Domino Damselfish NO
1 Royal Gamma yes

Any comments about these, any suggestions of what to get instead, 5 fish too many? Compatibility etc
All comments help!

Yes, five is too many - yes there are three fire fish, red, common as muck! purple, less common, and the rare as hens teeth Helfrich's Firefish, the purple one is lovely, trod has one, they are jumpers but as long as you have a cover on your tank they will add a touch of elegance and look stunning :good:

Think I would go with a purple firefish
clown goby
common clown
scarlet hawkfish (but then i love hawkfish)

Seffie x

:fish:

Yeah the scarlet hawk fish is very pretty as well. The only problem is that they cant really be kept with shrimp as they tend to eat them.

I like the purple firefish too :)

Seffie how can you say Cardinals are boring (ok I do know what you mean :) ). They are lovely fish though, yes they dont move too much but they also dont hide away very much either (and you can breed them as well).

I have been lucky, my shrimp were very big when I got my Freddie, he has never even tried to grab them - well, not when I was looking :lol: Would love to have a pair of them :wub:

Seffie x

:fish:

Most reactions

Back