Will spit out eggs hatch if left in gravel?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

FishNewbie82912

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Will spit out eggs hatch if left in gravel? I tried moving the female to a breeder box. I put some Gravel and plants to make it feel homey. But she still spit out the eggs. I wish now I didnā€™t put gravel at the eggs are in the gravel. Will they still hatch if I just leave them?

Will spit out eggs hatch if left in gravel? I tried moving the female to a breeder box. I put some Gravel and plants to make it feel homey. But she still spit out the eggs. I wish now I didnā€™t put gravel at the eggs are in the gravel. Will they still hatch if I just leave them?
Just leave it alone because you don't want to disturb them at all while there are eggs. You may unintionally cause damage if you move the gravel

They are as good as dead, if not already dead. I don't know what species you have, but moving a mother (or father) that's holding rarely works. breeder boxes are usually too small and stressful.

They are as good as dead, if not already dead. I don't know what species you have, but moving a mother (or father) that's holding rarely works. breeder boxes are usually too small and stressful.
Yeah... I forgot about that. Most people wait for the fry to hatch and then take the fry out so the parent or other tank mates dont eat them

Itā€™s a strawberry peacock. Sheā€™s held twice. Swallowed the eggs within first couple days. My other females swallow or spit them out too. It seems they all spawn with the same head honcho of the tank but Iā€™m wondering if heā€™s not fertilizing. Or what the problem is. I changed the water more. Bought better foods. I donā€™t get it.

Attachments

• 7D27FA2A-F63E-4137-BBC6-A2575515E46B.jpeg
    7D27FA2A-F63E-4137-BBC6-A2575515E46B.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 47
Yeah... I forgot about that. Most people wait for the fry to hatch and then take the fry out so the parent or other tank mates dont eat them
Yeah my females keep spitting the eggs out or swallowing them. I want one batch but this seems like an endless battle.

Yeah my females keep spitting the eggs out or swallowing them. I want one batch but this seems like an endless battle.
Ohhh that's what you meant by spitting them out... Their actually eating them and spitting them out... Yikes, that sounds like its not a good experience for the eggs...

So, if your tank is large enough, you need to increase the number of hiding places. As well, look at any tankmates. They usually spit the eggs, or eat them if they are under stress.
If you are hoping to breed them, you should have a tank to raise fry in. A breeder box is close to useless. No one will want them until they are 6-7 cm in size. Consider moving the male(s) to that tank - he'll aggressively court females even if they are holding.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back