Will rope fish dig up plants?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes and no... In my experience a rope will break loose a newly planted plant that has not established decent roots. They are not actually digging up the plants but they like to weave in and out of plants which can dislodge newly planted plants (hence another name being reed fish.). Another possible is bulbs such as tiger lotus. Took my lotus forever to get rooted due to my rope using it like a soccer ball and pushing it all over the tank.

Bottom line is if the tank is newly planted you may need to do some replanting but if the plants are established you should have no issue.

As a side note make sure to have a cave system for a rope.

I will feed them frozen tilapia and bloodworms. That is what I have anyway, because I have other fish. I did not know that they could eat mealworms, so I might feed them those, because I have those on hand most of the time too.

I will feed them frozen tilapia and bloodworms. That is what I have anyway, because I have other fish. I did not know that they could eat mealworms, so I might feed them those, because I have those on hand most of the time too.
Yes, they definitely eat meal worms. You just have to feed other fish first so they are less likely to eat the worms before the rope finds them. This is especially true if you have fish such as cichlids as they like them too. You can also feed the rope after the tank lights are off. Ropes are mainly nocturnal but do come out in light. Since they have very poor eyesight they hunt mostly by smell and vibration so it can, sometimes, take them a while to find food. Feeding when the lights are off lessens competition from other fish.

They will also hunt down and eat 'feeder guppies'. Well, actually, they will eat just about any protein. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back