Will my guppy be happier with Endler guppies?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, after the death of my 3 female guppies my male guppy still in the community tank has no other guppies within the tank with it. I’ve read online they’re fine by themselves but worried about him being stressed. I’m terrified of getting more guppies in as they’re so inbred and can have tonnes of infections as I’ve already encountered. I was considering getting Endler guppies instead as I have read they are slightly less inbred. Would they get on with my guppy or would they be like any other fish to him?

If you get endler guppies (female) the male may try to breed with them. That’s the only bad thing I can think would happen.

Perfect :) will the male guppy appreciate having females endlers in? Or will he be unbothered either way
He would be very happy :) and you'll have babies too

Since the vast majority of endlers sold in fish stores are already guppy-endler hybrids, this is one instance where it is considered acceptable to let two species breed together.

Your male guppy would mate with female enders in the same way that male endlers do - and produce fertile offspring.

You said that you feared adding more, because you thought they would inerbreed:
No. He said guppies are inbred so he wanted endlers instead. Nothing a out interbreeding between them :)

Inbreeding = breeding males and females which are close relatives. This can result in weak genes from both parents combining to make weak offspring.

Guppies are renowned as being so inbred they have health problems. The OP has already lost all but one of his guppies to illness and is afraid to buy any more as they too will be so inbred they'll also get sick and die.

He has read that endlers are not as inbred as guppies so they don't get sick as easily so he would like to replace his dead guppies with endlers.

But he wants to know if the guppy would get on with endlers if he were to get some.

The answer to the questionis the last guppy will be fine with endlers, and if he gets any female endlers the male guppy will breed quite happily with them. While hybrids are usually frowned upon, in this case there is not a problem as the majority of endlers in fish stores are already endler-guppy hybrids.

most people seem to be confused when it comes to guppies when a guppy dies or it gets sick it's usually put down to too much inbreeding the inbreeding side of it has very little to do with the problems that people have with Guppies

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back